Apicius book

  • sallygrain@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 14, 2004
      Hi all

      news about book is not good I am afraid. We are nearing the end but its not
      quite in sight yet. The project has proved to be far more complex then we
      first thought and while we are trying to contain it, it does seem to have taken
      on a life of its own and will not let us go. Apologies for the wait. All I
      can say is that it will be pretty dam good when it does come out.

      Has anyone seen the 'Eating and drinking in Antiquity' exhibition at the
      Allard Pierson Museum in Amsterdam.

      sally

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 14, 2004
        Salve!

        I could use some help...
        Several months ago some posts were made to this
        site in regard to Roman reproduction items. One
        of these site had repro wax tablets; braziers;
        strigiles and such. Does this ring a bell with
        anyone? If so, please let me know!

        Valete,
        Correus Appius

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 14, 2004
          Salve!

          I just ran across some books you all might find
          interesting.

          Around the Table of the Romans: Food and Feasting
          in Ancient Rome
          by Patrick Faas (Author), Sean Whiteside
          (Translator)

          Empire of Pleasures: Luxury and Indulgence in the
          Roman World
          by Andrew Dalby

          These can be found at amazon.com

          Correus Appius

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Richard Cook
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 14, 2004
            Could be the group I belong to, the Roman Military Research Society. Len
            Morgan and Steve Wagstaff run the 'Frabrica' producing all the equipment you
            mention. You can contact them through the group's web site:

            www.romanarmy.net

            click on the frabrica link.

            vale

            Richard Cook
            aka Gnaeus Musius

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 14, 2004
              Hmmmmm....nope....sorry.

              HOWEVER!!! GREAT SITE!!!! Thsnk you for
              sharing.

              The site I remember has dozens of items with a
              photo of each.

              I also think it was in the US or Germany.

              If I can find it I will post it. Perhaps it was
              linked with a Roman re-enactment group.

              Correus

              --- Richard Cook <richard_cook@...>

              http://mail.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 14, 2004
                Here is a site I have found, but it is still not
                the one!

                http://legvi.tripod.com/armamentarium/index.html

                Some of the pics do not come through.

                Correus Appius

                --- Richard Cook <richard_cook@...>

                http://mail.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 14, 2004
                  Here is one for the military re-enactor!

                  http://www.armae.com/antiquite/11antiquiteCadre.htm

                  Correus Appius

                  --- Richard Cook <richard_cook@...>

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 14, 2004
                    Well, as I said, if I find it I will share it...

                    Here it is:

                    http://www.forumtraiani.de/index.htm

                    The actual home page says that there is an
                    English version, but I can't seem to get it to
                    work. I beleive the pricing is in Euros. For
                    example, there is a BEAUTIFUL spoon that sells
                    for 49,00 - I assume this is Euros. Anyone know?

                    The parent site I got this off is filled with
                    TONS of links with all kinds of Roman repros.
                    Here it is:

                    http://www.larp.com/legioxx/supplrs.html#jewelry

                    Also on this list is a site with wounderful Roman
                    cooking pots:

                    http://www.replik-online.de/en/eng/index2.html

                    On this site is a bronze wine cup that is selling
                    for, I beleive, 700 Euros! Isn't that about $856
                    US! This can't be right!!!! Can anyone tell me
                    if this price is Euro or something else?

                    Correus Appius

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 14, 2004
                      Can anyone tell me what the equivalent (in US
                      dollars) this is:

                      550,00 EUR (1.100,00 DM)

                      Correus Appius

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 14, 2004
                        Sorry, I ment to include the site that shows a
                        picture and discription of the item mentioned
                        below.

                        http://www.hr-replikate.de/englisch/index.html

                        Correus Appius

                        --- Correus <correus@...> wrote:
                        > Can anyone tell me what the equivalent (in US
                        > dollars) this is:
                        >
                        > 550,00 EUR (1.100,00 DM)
                        >
                        > Correus Appius
                        >

                        > --- Correus <correus@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Well, as I said, if I find it I will share
                        > > it...
                        > >
                        > > Here it is:
                        > >
                        > > http://www.forumtraiani.de/index.htm
                        > >
                        > > The actual home page says that there is an
                        > > English version, but I can't seem to get it
                        > > work. I beleive the pricing is in Euros. For
                        > > example, there is a BEAUTIFUL spoon that
                        > sells
                        > > for 49,00 - I assume this is Euros. Anyone
                        > > know?
                        > >
                        > > The parent site I got this off is filled with
                        > > TONS of links with all kinds of Roman repros.
                        >
                        > > Here it is:

                        http://www.larp.com/legioxx/supplrs.html#jewelry

                        > > Also on this list is a site with wounderful
                        > > Roman
                        > > cooking pots:
                        > >

                        > http://www.replik-online.de/en/eng/index2.html
                        > >
                        > > On this site is a bronze wine cup that is
                        > > selling
                        > > for, I beleive, 700 Euros! Isn't that about
                        > > $856
                        > > US! This can't be right!!!! Can anyone tell
                        > > me
                        > > if this price is Euro or something else?
                        > >
                        > > Correus Appius

                        > > Yahoo! Mail - More reliable, more storage,
                        > less
                        > > spam
                        > > http://mail.yahoo.com

                        > Yahoo! Mail - More reliable, more storage, less
                        > spam
                        > http://mail.yahoo.com

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Marianne Perdomo Machin
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 14, 2004
                          Correus wrote:
                          > Can anyone tell me what the equivalent (in US
                          > dollars) this is:
                          >
                          > 550,00 EUR (1.100,00 DM)

                          About 672 USD

                          I normally use this online converter:
                          http://www.xe.net/ucc/

                          It won't be exactly what it says, as there's usually conversion
                          charges by the credit card companies or whomever, but it gives you a
                          good idea.

                          Hope that helps!

                          Marianne
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 14, 2004
                            WOW!!!! Is there anyone out there who has spent
                            that kind of money on a reproduction cup? I know
                            of someone who sold an ORIGINAL Roman silver
                            fiddle spoon (circa 2nd-3rd cent.AD) for just a
                            little over double that price.

                            Correus Appius

                            --- Marianne Perdomo Machin
                            <marianne@...> wrote:

                            > Correus wrote:
                            > > Can anyone tell me what the equivalent (in US
                            > > dollars) this is:
                            > >
                            > > 550,00 EUR (1.100,00 DM)
                            >
                            > About 672 USD
                            >
                            > I normally use this online converter:
                            > http://www.xe.net/ucc/
                            >
                            > It won't be exactly what it says, as there's
                            > usually conversion
                            > charges by the credit card companies or
                            > whomever, but it gives you a
                            > good idea.
                            >
                            > Hope that helps!
                            >

                            > Marianne

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • RM
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 15, 2004
                              Hi!

                              There is another link with things like that:
                              http://www.antike-latein-spann.de/
                              and about cookery:
                              http://www.antike-latein-spann.de/kueche.htm

                              Sometimes there is something at www.ebay.it
                              (I just found an original amphora for 4600 Euro)

                              :-) RM

                              > WOW!!!! Is there anyone out there who has spent
                              > that kind of money on a reproduction cup? I know
                              > of someone who sold an ORIGINAL Roman silver
                              > fiddle spoon (circa 2nd-3rd cent.AD) for just a
                              > little over double that price.
                              >
                              > Correus Appius
                              >

                              > --- Marianne Perdomo Machin
                              > <marianne@...> wrote:
                              > >

                              > > Correus wrote:
                              > > > Can anyone tell me what the equivalent (in US
                              > > > dollars) this is:
                              > > >
                              > > > 550,00 EUR (1.100,00 DM)
                              > >
                              > > About 672 USD
                              > >
                              > > I normally use this online converter:
                              > > http://www.xe.net/ucc/
                              > >
                              > > It won't be exactly what it says, as there's
                              > > usually conversion
                              > > charges by the credit card companies or
                              > > whomever, but it gives you a
                              > > good idea.
                              > >
                              > > Hope that helps!
                              > >

                              > > Marianne

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 16, 2004
                                roman hideout perhaps?

                                Correus wrote:

                                > Hmmmmm....nope....sorry.
                                >
                                > HOWEVER!!! GREAT SITE!!!! Thsnk you for
                                > sharing.
                                >
                                > The site I remember has dozens of items with a
                                > photo of each.
                                >
                                > I also think it was in the US or Germany.
                                >
                                > If I can find it I will post it. Perhaps it was
                                > linked with a Roman re-enactment group.
                                >
                                > Correus
                                >

                                > --- Richard Cook <richard_cook@...>
                                > wrote:
                                > > Could be the group I belong to, the Roman
                                > > Military Research Society. Len
                                > > Morgan and Steve Wagstaff run the 'Frabrica'
                                > > producing all the equipment you
                                > > mention. You can contact them through the
                                > > group's web site:
                                > >
                                > > www.romanarmy.net
                                > >
                                > > click on the frabrica link.
                                > >
                                > > vale
                                > >
                                > > Richard Cook
                                > > aka Gnaeus Musius

                                a.k.a.: Marsh Wise

                                LEGIO IX HISPANA COH III NorCal Chapter

                                Websitarius:
                                -reenactor.Net: http://www.reenactor.net/
                                -Legio XXII "Primigenia": http://www.reenactor.net/units/legioxxii/
                                Netscape Aim/AOL screen name: Sturmkatze

                                Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 15, 2006
                                  Ave!

                                  Anyone know where to purchase a reproduction
                                  Mortaria?

                                  Vale,

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                • Chris Stewart
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 16, 2006
                                    These came up in a quick Google Image search, so I don't know much
                                    about the vendors :

                                    http://www.trinitycourtpotteries.co.uk/1Roman%20Replicas.htm

                                    http://www.hudsonclaypotter.com/the_pots.php?type=4

                                    And, even though I don't see any on her site, you might also try Julia
                                    at http://venetiancat.com/index.html She can probably make some if
                                    you as her.

                                    Hope that helps.

                                    Chris S.