Garum...

  • Marco Berni
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3 5:05 AM
      Hello all,

      It's been a while since I contributed to the group but I recently came
      across something that I thought would be of interest to you all.

      There is a company in the south of Italy (province of Salerno) that
      produces 'garum'.

      It is produced under the brand 'Delfino' and they call it 'colatura di
      alici' (strainings of anchovies) and the product is made exclusively
      from the liquid produced in the production of salted anchovies.

      In Italy salted anchovies (not in oil!) are still used and produced
      (you can buy them in any grocer). These large tins contain layers of
      anchovies and salt and colatura is produced by piercing the containers
      that the anchovies are originally salted in and collecting the liquid
      produced. Pretty much like garum, eh?

      I have a photo I have taken of a bottle I have and would like to let
      the group have it so that you can see the packaging and the colour of
      the liquid. How do I do this as I know that the email removes
      attachments?

      The colatura is less pungent than asian fish sauces I have (thai,
      vietnamese etc) and is fresher smelling, smelling of salt and anchovies
      only, unlike thai fish sauce which often smells like a public urinal
      ;-)

      I have a 100ml bottle but the label implies that larger sizes are
      available.

      The producer is:

      'Delfino Battista S.r.l. Corso Umberto I, No. 58, Cetara, Salerno,
      Italy.

      Tel: 089 261069 Fax: 089 261928

      email: delfinsrl@...

      I would assume that they would be happy to ship by post internationally.

      Ciao

      Marco
    • Marco Berni
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3 6:17 AM
        With regards to the image, I have uploaded to a webspace I have.

        You can view it here:

        http://www.de-re-coquinaria.com/it/colatura.jpg

        Marco

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 9 1:11 PM
          Greetings one and all!

          I haven't noticed much going on with the group of
          yet except for a few things here-and-there.

          Thought I would just check-in and say "hello!".

          Sally, how is your book coming along?

          Has anyone ran accross any new Roman cook books?

          Larry
          a.k.a. Correus Appius Iulianus

          http://search.yahoo.com