Placenta & libum

  • Lisa Holcomb-Blair
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2003
      I am interested in obtaining more documented Roman recipes such as these. What are some other good sources besides Flowers & Rosenbaum Apicius? Could you list these recipes and redactions or just point me to some other sources? I am new to Roman cooking.

      Respectfully,
      Gwen

    • lilinah@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31, 2003
        Lisa Holcomb-Blair wrote:

        >I am interested in obtaining more documented Roman recipes such as
        >these. What are some other good sources besides Flowers & Rosenbaum
        >Apicius? Could you list these recipes and redactions or just point
        >me to some other sources? I am new to Roman cooking.

        Well, for the 6-course, 26-dish Greco-Roman feast i did in early
        September, i read and used:

        Apicius, The Roman Cookery Book. Translated by Barbara Flower &
        Elizabeth Rosenbaum. Peter Nevill, Ltd, London & New York: 1958.

        Andrew Dalby. Siren Feasts, A History of Food and Gastronomy in
        Greece. Routledge, London & New York: 1996.

        Andrew Dalby. Empire of Pleasures, Luxury and Indulgence in the Roman
        World. Routledge, London & New York: 2000.

        Andrew Dalby. Dangerous Tastes: The Story of Spices. University of
        California Press, Berkeley & Los Angeles: 2000.

        Andrew Dalby and Sally Grainger. The Classical Cookbook. British
        Museum Press, London: revised edition 2000.

        Patrick Faas. Around the Roman Table: Food and Feasting in Ancient
        Rome. Translated by Shaun Whiteside. Palgrave Macmillan, New York and
        Hampshire UK: 1994, 2003.

        Ilaria Gozzini Giacosa. A Taste of Ancient Rome. Translated by Anna
        Herklotz. University of Chicago Press, Chicago and London: 1992.

        I have since purchased:
        Mark Grant. Roman Cookery. Serif, London: 1999.
        Whatever one may think of the book - and i think many of the recipes
        are useful - the bibliography sure looks useful.

        I also own Mark Grant's translation, "Anthimus: On the Observance of
        Foods", but didn't use it for my feast. I could not afford to
        purchase Mark Grant's translation and edition of Oribasius, Books 1
        and 4, published as "Dieting for an Emperor". I did pick up a copy of
        Grant's translation and edition of Galen, published as "Galen on Food
        and Diet" and i've been poking my way through it for the last month.

        Anahita
      • iasmin@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 31, 2003
          Anahita wrote:

          > Well, for the 6-course, 26-dish Greco-Roman feast i did in early
          > September

          Anahita, I may well have missed the information on this, but did you post the recipes and feast notes anywhere? i'd very much like to read them or receive a copy of them if you did.

          Iasmin/Gaylin