Edwards

  • sallygrain@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2003
      Hi all

      My feeling about Edwards is that he is so off beam, his recipes are so far
      away from Roman food that he is not worth using. The recipe might be good to
      eat i dont know but its not even near Roman food.

      He interprets liquamem as stock using Vehling who does the same and that
      distortes the recipes entirely.

      Re rue I use it quite regularly in my recipes. There are no substitutes
      for its bitterness. In a given recipe its a tiny amount in relation to the
      other things and yet has quite a profound effect on the taste. The "old wives
      tale" recipe involved vast quantites in a tea. I would not worry about it
      generally though if you are alergic to the leaves in full sun or if its wet I would
      avoid it as it can cause horrible blisters.

      sally
    • DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 30, 2003
        Sally,
        Aren't you writing on book on Roman cooking? I thought I had read that
        in a post?! Anyway, I agree about the Garum sauce. ALthough my wife
        looked through most of this stuff and groaned every time she saw it
        mentioned ;-Þ
        Marsh

        --
        DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
        a.k.a.: Marsh Wise

        LEGIO IX HISPANA COH III NorCal Chapter

        Websitarius:
        -reenactor.Net: http://www.reenactor.net/
        -Legio XXII "Primigenia": http://www.reenactor.net/units/legioxxii/
        Netscape Aim/AOL screen name: Sturmkatze

        Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt.