Rue

  • Daniel Serra
    Message 1 of 37 , Mar 17, 1999
      Hello

      I've been trying to get hold of rue for some while now without much
      succes..a few questions that might help me locate it. I've been
      looking for it in quite a few stores

      Is it used in presentday cooking..what culture?
      Does it go by any other names....in other languages?
      (although the name in swedish is similar to the latin name "Ruta"...a
      different english name might be helpfull)

      Is it likely to be found in a health store

      Daniel
    • Jennifer Mackay
      Message 37 of 37 , Sep 18, 2007
        This is my first post to this list.

        I am relatively new to Roman cooking, but I have tried a couple recipes
        because my husband portrays a fictional persona in the Society of
        Creative Anachronism (SCA). He is doing a 1st century AD Roman. We have
        been members of the group for little over a year, and it's a lot of fun
        for the both of us. When we are together, I dress like a Roman lady.

        I've tried a lentil recipe from The Classical Cookbook substituting
        rosemary for rue, and the second time around, I tried using sage
        instead of rosemary or rue. (I don't have access to rue.) The sage was
        milder than the rosemary, but both ways tasted good. My husband liked
        it.

        Jennifer Mackay-Galicia
        SCA reenactor, known as Gemma Northwode