Re: [Apicius] what i did this weekend

  • Gaylin Walli
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 21, 2003
      > I've only made stuffed vine leaves once (with a modern recipe) but had
      > the
      > dickens of a time getting them to stay in nice neat bundles!

      You know, I've had the same trouble and the way that has worked best
      for me is to wrap them like the local veterinary clinic wraps medical
      instruments in paper (no tape, just folding). No tape, more like
      origami. I've had the most success when I lay the bundles seam side
      down, regardless of how they were wrapped.

      Gaylin/Iasmin
    • lilinah@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 23, 2003
        Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 10:56:09 EDT
        From: asseri@...
        Subject: grape leaves and a pondering

        > I've only made stuffed vine leaves once (with a modern recipe) but had the
        > dickens of a time getting them to stay in nice neat bundles!
        >
        > Mari de Paxford

        When i have made them i do a few things that seem to work for me
        1) Make sure the end of the wrap (where the tip of the leaf overlaps
        the rest of the bundle) is down when you place them in the pot.
        2) Pack them in very snuggly together so they can't move.
        3) If you're simmering/boiling them, only have enough water to cover,
        so they don't go bobbing around in a deep liquid bath. Check every so
        often and add more boiling liquid (from a saucepan or teakettle) to
        keep the level even.

        Anahita
      • channonm@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 23, 2003
          In a message dated 6/23/03 12:21:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          lilinah@... writes:

          > When i have made them i do a few things that seem to work for me
          > 1) Make sure the end of the wrap (where the tip of the leaf overlaps
          > the rest of the bundle) is down when you place them in the pot.
          > 2) Pack them in very snuggly together so they can't move.
          > 3) If you're simmering/boiling them, only have enough water to cover,
          > so they don't go bobbing around in a deep liquid bath. Check every so
          > often and add more boiling liquid (from a saucepan or teakettle) to
          > keep the level even.

          I also add a heavy plate on top to keep them submersed and tight in the pan.
          I don't seem to have much trouble with them although occassionally one will
          burst if too full. I put in water to cover, let it cook about 1/2 hour and then
          add water to cover again and finish cooking about another 1/2 hour. I don't
          remove them from the pot until cooled and that probably helps.

          Channon