Re: [Apicius] what i did this weekend

  • Susan Laing
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 21, 2003
      Hi Janet!

      Just a question - how are you holding your stuffed vine leaves together?

      are you using twine to hold them during the cooking period or another
      method?

      I've only made stuffed vine leaves once (with a modern recipe) but had the
      dickens of a time getting them to stay in nice neat bundles!

      Mari de Paxford
      (aka Sue Laing)
      http://www.livejournal.com/users/paxford/
    • Gaylin Walli
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 21, 2003
        > I've only made stuffed vine leaves once (with a modern recipe) but had
        > the
        > dickens of a time getting them to stay in nice neat bundles!

        You know, I've had the same trouble and the way that has worked best
        for me is to wrap them like the local veterinary clinic wraps medical
        instruments in paper (no tape, just folding). No tape, more like
        origami. I've had the most success when I lay the bundles seam side
        down, regardless of how they were wrapped.

        Gaylin/Iasmin
      • lilinah@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 23, 2003
          Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 10:56:09 EDT
          From: asseri@...
          Subject: grape leaves and a pondering

          > I've only made stuffed vine leaves once (with a modern recipe) but had the
          > dickens of a time getting them to stay in nice neat bundles!
          >
          > Mari de Paxford

          When i have made them i do a few things that seem to work for me
          1) Make sure the end of the wrap (where the tip of the leaf overlaps
          the rest of the bundle) is down when you place them in the pot.
          2) Pack them in very snuggly together so they can't move.
          3) If you're simmering/boiling them, only have enough water to cover,
          so they don't go bobbing around in a deep liquid bath. Check every so
          often and add more boiling liquid (from a saucepan or teakettle) to
          keep the level even.

          Anahita
        • channonm@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 23, 2003
            In a message dated 6/23/03 12:21:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            lilinah@... writes:

            > When i have made them i do a few things that seem to work for me
            > 1) Make sure the end of the wrap (where the tip of the leaf overlaps
            > the rest of the bundle) is down when you place them in the pot.
            > 2) Pack them in very snuggly together so they can't move.
            > 3) If you're simmering/boiling them, only have enough water to cover,
            > so they don't go bobbing around in a deep liquid bath. Check every so
            > often and add more boiling liquid (from a saucepan or teakettle) to
            > keep the level even.

            I also add a heavy plate on top to keep them submersed and tight in the pan.
            I don't seem to have much trouble with them although occassionally one will
            burst if too full. I put in water to cover, let it cook about 1/2 hour and then
            add water to cover again and finish cooking about another 1/2 hour. I don't
            remove them from the pot until cooled and that probably helps.

            Channon