Re: [Apicius] New(ish) Member

  • Mike Dalka
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 27, 2003
      Hi Channon and group,

      Thanks for the invitation to talk about ACE. Our goal is to promote
      numismatics and classical studies by distributing inexpensive uncleaned
      Roman coins to schools. We focus on the upper grade levels, but have
      had students as young as fourth grade participate (it didn't go so well-
      not enough patience or attention span yet!).

      Originally, we offered the coins at no cost to the schools, but demand
      quickly outstripped supply. Our first year we supplied forty different
      classes with fifty coins each to clean and identify; this year, we are
      helping fifty classes. We are trying to provide everything totally free
      to first-time schools now; returning participants are asked to donate $2
      per coin in subsequent years. All our materials continue to be free,
      and for $2 we will guarantee the coin can be identified (if it turns out
      to be a slug, we replace it). We are a 100% volunteer organization- no
      one is paid, our charter forbids directors and officers from any
      financial transactions with ACE beyond donations, and many of the
      directors finance their own activities, paying for postage etc. We are
      incorporated as a charitable corporation in the State of Pennsylvania,
      and donations are tax-deductible. I actually live just east of
      Indianapolis, but one of our board members is an attorney in PA and
      donated his time to incorporate us.

      ACE provides the coins and a lot of resources, but the educators in
      charge of the project are free to do whatever they wish with the
      materials. Many participating teachers have drawn up excellent
      curriculum on their own, and some have shared their materials with ACE
      for redistribution. ACE sponsors various essay contests throughout the
      year, and notable numismatists such as Marvin Tameanko (author of
      Monumental Coins) sponsor essay contests as well. Recently, Harlan J.
      Berk donated a gold solidus of Justinian I worth several hundred dollars
      as a prize for the "Teacher Excellence Award" for 2002-03. He also
      provided over one hundred other very nice coins, and some dealers have
      donated uncleaned coins numbering into the thousands.

      We try to arrange for a local numismatist to mentor schools who want a
      mentor, and those visits are always well received. I could go on for
      hours, but the basic idea here is: We try to make history more
      interesting, by giving young people common coins. Certain coins from
      the 3rd and 4th c. AD are so common, a collector simply gets a glut of
      them. Why not put them to good use, helping kids learn?

      Currently, we are working with schools on three continents. A dealer in
      Australia is spinning off his own ACE program there, because of some odd
      tax laws we can't directly participate in AU. We just got our first
      school in Britain on board.

      I think it would be wonderful to incorporate Roman foods into the ACE
      program. If anyone here is interested in working on a project like this
      with ACE, please (!) contact me. We are always looking for more ways to
      make history fun, promote classical education (why do so few US schools
      offer Latin?!?), and help underresourced public schools hold the
      students' attention!

      Again, thanks for the opportunity to discuss ACE here. I know it is a
      bit OT, so I hope no one was bored.

      Best Regards,

      Mike Dalka

      PS - Here are links to the files I uploaded, that were not linked to in
      my last email:

      and a link to the ACE website... most of our other resources can be
      viewed here, as can the essays from previous competitions:

      http://www.bitsofhistory.com/ace

      -MGD

    • channonm@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2 8:05 AM
        In a message dated 2/27/03 9:27:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        mike@... writes:

        > Again, thanks for the opportunity to discuss ACE here. I know it is a
        > bit OT, so I hope no one was bored.

        Not at all!!! If we can't take what we know and share it, then we'll just
        dissappear and so will the information. This is incredible! I am from
        Windsor, Ontario Canada and have spent a good deal of time in PA, at our
        annual convention (medieval re-enactment society). I have done numerous
        school demos and belong to a local historical society whose mandate is to
        educate and promote understanding of the medieval period. Bringing something
        so tangible as coins to kids! What a wonderful opportunity for children to
        have hands on learning. I will be forwarding your information to my son's
        teacher, he is in a gifted program that starts at the grade 4 level and they
        will be very interested. I know that they are getting a kit from the Royal
        Ontario Museum that has period Viking swords and artifacts and they get to
        handle them and examine them (what I would have given to have that kind of
        classroom experience, best we ever had was to trudge down to the local
        historical site and wander through).

        There is nothing like bringing history alive. How exciting!

        Sincerely
        Channon