Translation of the De Re Coquinaria

  • mikulas4 <mikulas4@netscape.net>
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 11, 2003
      I am working recently on Apicius 10 books of cookery. Can't find a
      good translation of the latin text. Translation by Joseph Vehling has
      many ad lib inserts and his own interpretations of recipes. I am not
      so good with old latin text, so help me to find "naked" basic translation.
      Caligula
    • Marco Berni
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 12, 2003
        I am not sure that a straight translation of the de re coquinaria is
        available.

        Most (all?) of the books on Apican cuisine are in English/Italian with
        latin excerpts of the featured recipes.

        John Edwards, The Roman Cookery of Apicius; features translations of
        the text, though I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the translation and
        the recipes themselves are not the best interpretations.

        I. Gozzini Giacosa, A Taste of Ancient Rome (Eng) - A cena da lucullo
        (italian); Features recipes from Apicius and others and has latin
        text, translations and recipes with some modern regional descendants of
        the dishes also listed.

        Dalby/Grainger's, The Classical Cookbook, features recipes from the
        classical world including some of Apicius recipes and features straight
        translations and recipes.

        Meravigli, La Cucina dell'antica Roma, contains only Apician recipes in
        Latin with Italian translation and the recipes in Italian, English and
        Roman dialect.

        Those are the books I have, someone else may have other texts to
        describe, but like I said, I have not heard of a straight English
        translation on the Apican text, though one may well exist.

        Marco

        On Saturday, Jan 11, 2003, at 16:21 Europe/Rome, mikulas4
        <mikulas4@...> wrote:

        > I am working recently on Apicius 10 books of cookery. Can't find a
        > good translation of the latin text. Translation by Joseph Vehling has
        > many ad lib inserts and his own interpretations of recipes. I am not
        > so good with old latin text, so help me to find "naked" basic
        > translation.
        > Caligula

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Ad en Nicole Meskens-Van der Auwera
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 12, 2003
          The best translation in English probably is Flower-Rosenbaum, (don't
          have it on hand and its title slips me), with original Latin text.
          In French there is J. André, Apicius, L'Art Culinaire, Editions Les
          Belles Lettres, Paris, 1974. Loads of literary and philological
          commentaries.
          In German R. Maier (ed. + trans), Das römische Kochbuch des Apicius,
          Reclam, 1991. with otriginal Latin text
          In Dutch N. van der Auwera & A. Meskens, De keuken der Romeinen,
          Koninklijke Bibliotheek Brussel, 2000, with an introduction on Roman
          meals, ingredients, the history of the text and some philological
          considerations. It is still for sale at a moderate price 10 euro + p&p
          (info frank.daelemans@... )
          You can find an on line copy of Apicius in Latin at the Gallica website
          of the Bibliotheque Nationale de France ( www.bnf.fr )
          Sincerely,
          Ad

          Marco Berni wrote:

          > I am not sure that a straight translation of the de re coquinaria is
          > available.
          >
          > Most (all?) of the books on Apican cuisine are in English/Italian with
          > latin excerpts of the featured recipes.
          >
          > John Edwards, The Roman Cookery of Apicius; features translations of
          > the text, though I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the translation and
          > the recipes themselves are not the best interpretations.
          >
          > I. Gozzini Giacosa, A Taste of Ancient Rome (Eng) - A cena da lucullo
          > (italian); Features recipes from Apicius and others and has latin
          > text, translations and recipes with some modern regional descendants of
          > the dishes also listed.
          >
          > Dalby/Grainger's, The Classical Cookbook, features recipes from the
          > classical world including some of Apicius recipes and features straight
          > translations and recipes.
          >
          > Meravigli, La Cucina dell'antica Roma, contains only Apician recipes in
          > Latin with Italian translation and the recipes in Italian, English and
          > Roman dialect.
          >
          > Those are the books I have, someone else may have other texts to
          > describe, but like I said, I have not heard of a straight English
          > translation on the Apican text, though one may well exist.
          >
          > Marco
          >

          > On Saturday, Jan 11, 2003, at 16:21 Europe/Rome, mikulas4
          > <mikulas4@...> wrote:
          >
          > > I am working recently on Apicius 10 books of cookery. Can't find a
          > > good translation of the latin text. Translation by Joseph Vehling has
          > > many ad lib inserts and his own interpretations of recipes. I am not
          > > so good with old latin text, so help me to find "naked" basic
          > > translation.
          > > Caligula
          > >

          > > Post message: Apicius@yahoogroups.com

          > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          > >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Weingarten
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 12, 2003
            BFlower, E Rosenbaum The Roman Cookery book : a critical translation of The
            art of cooking by Apicius for use in the study and the kitchen (London,
            1958)

            Susan Weingarten

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 12, 2003
              To complete the panorama, here is a bilingual edition with translation into
              what used to be called Serbo-Croate at the time, with Introduction,
              Bibliography and 6 Indexes, published in 1989 by the Zagreb based
              Latina&Graeca publishing house: "Apicije - o kuvanju / De re coquinaria
              Apicii", ed. and transl. by Svetlana Slapsak. The translation into Slovenian
              was published in 1996, in Ljubljana, Slovenia, by Krtina publishing house:
              "Umetnost kuhanja / De re coquinaria", transl. Jerneja Kavcic, intr. by
              Svetlana Slapsak. A choice of recepies was published by Ljudmila
              Plesnicar-Gec and Boris Kuhar, Emona in rimska kuhinja : Apicijevi recepti
              za danasnjo rabo (Emona and Roman cooking: Apicius's recepies for our use),
              Ljubljana (Kmecki glas and Mestni muzej), 1996.

              Svetlana Slapsak