Re: [Apicius] fish liver

  • Maxine Zheng
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2002
      Hi! RM:
      Thanks for the website. It is very interesting. I guess it is like soy sauce, the protein high protein starting material is degraded to produce amino acid. That makes it flavorful. but is the fish liver sauce also fermented?
      Best
      RM <apicius@...> wrote:Hi!

      You will find some hints on the preparation of the Roman "garum" in Plin.
      Nat. Hist. 31,93.

      I suggest to try it with "Nuoc Mam". It is very similar to what you
      mentioned. Have a look at:
      http://www.vietmedia.com/culture/?L=fishsauce.html

      Best regards

      RM

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2002
        In a message dated 11/1/02 8:01:54 AM, maxinezheng@... writes:

        << Hi! RM:
        Thanks for the website. It is very interesting. I guess it is like soy sauce,
        the protein high protein starting material is degraded to produce amino
        acid. That makes it flavorful. but is the fish liver sauce also fermented?
        Best
        RM <apicius@...> wrote:Hi! >>

        I'm surprised no one has pointed this site out yet:
        http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Ithaca/8337/c_garum.html

        In fact, I would say that site is required reading for any new member on this
        list.
      • RM
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2002
          Hi again!

          > << Hi! RM:
          > Thanks for the website. It is very interesting. I guess it is like soy
          sauce,
          > the protein high protein starting material is degraded to produce amino
          > acid. That makes it flavorful. but is the fish liver sauce also fermented?
          > Best

          Yes, the "fish liver" sauce is fermented (we just don't know if it has been
          made from fish liver only - Plinius tells us that various kinds were
          produced).

          > I'm surprised no one has pointed this site out yet:
          > http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Ithaca/8337/c_garum.html
          >
          > In fact, I would say that site is required reading for any new member on
          this
          > list.

          Well, there is a huge number of publications (online & offline) around garum
          and liquamen. Unfortunately in the one you mentioned the exact sources are
          not cited. An excellent explanation of garum and its production gives
          Chr.-Heinrich Wunderlich at
          http://home.t-online.de/home/wunderlich/encyclo/liqua.htm but it is written
          in German.

          Best regards