Student project...

  • magistra_ryder
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4 7:40 AM
      Salvete!

      My new Latin II class has just started on a research project that
      will culminate in building a model of a Roman House. Eash student
      picked a different aspect of Roman domestic life to study. One of my
      students has chosen the Culina and Roman Cuisine.

      While I have asked them all to do their own library and internet
      reseach, I have promised to help if they are struggling with it. Can
      you all please reccommend some books and/or websites?

      Gratias,
      Ms. Ryder
    • Preston Lawrence Pittman
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4 8:43 AM
        --- In Apicius@y..., "magistra_ryder" <rlryder@m...> wrote:
        > Salvete!
        >
        > My new Latin II class has just started on a research project that
        > will culminate in building a model of a Roman House. Eash student
        > picked a different aspect of Roman domestic life to study. One of
        my
        > students has chosen the Culina and Roman Cuisine.
        >
        > While I have asked them all to do their own library and internet
        > reseach, I have promised to help if they are struggling with it.
        Can
        > you all please reccommend some books and/or websites?
        >
        > Gratias,
        > Ms. Ryder

        Take a look at the "links" page on the home page of this list serve
        on yahoo groups. There are many web sites listed there which would
        be helpful to your class.
      • Preston Lawrence Pittman
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 4 8:54 AM
          --- In Apicius@y..., "magistra_ryder" <rlryder@m...> wrote:
          > Salvete!
          >
          > My new Latin II class has just started on a research project that
          > will culminate in building a model of a Roman House. Eash student
          > picked a different aspect of Roman domestic life to study. One of
          my
          > students has chosen the Culina and Roman Cuisine.
          >
          > While I have asked them all to do their own library and internet
          > reseach, I have promised to help if they are struggling with it.
          Can
          > you all please reccommend some books and/or websites?
          >
          > Gratias,
          > Ms. Ryder

          One extremely good web site that would be helpful for your project
          is :
          http://www.romans-in-britain.org.uk
        • James L. Matterer
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 4 9:08 AM
            Here's a site with emphasis on the Roman home & the kitchen:

            AGE, GENDER, AND STATUS DIVISIONS AT MEALTIME IN THE ROMAN HOUSE: a synopsis of the literary evidence

            http://acad2.depauw.edu/romarch/hgender.html

            The site is based on:

            Pedar W. Foss, "Kitchens and Dining Rooms at Pompeii: the spatial and social relationship of cooking to eating in the Roman household," Ph.D. thesis, University of Michigan, 1994, 45-56

            Jim

            *************************************
            http://www.godecookery.com/

            My new Latin II class has just started on a research project that
            will culminate in building a model of a Roman House. Eash student
            picked a different aspect of Roman domestic life to study. One of my
            students has chosen the Culina and Roman Cuisine.

            While I have asked them all to do their own library and internet
            reseach, I have promised to help if they are struggling with it. Can
            you all please reccommend some books and/or websites?

            Gratias,
            Ms. Ryder

            ---

          • Arnamentia Aurelia
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 4 9:08 AM
              A great book:

              A Taste of Ancient Rome, by Ilaria Gozzini Giacosa
              0-226-29032-8, University of Chicago Press

              Arnamentia Aurelia

              --- Preston Lawrence Pittman

              http://sbc.yahoo.com