Re: [Apicius] Archaeological remains of preservation

  • Weingarten
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 8, 2002
      yes work has been done on analysing archaeological remains - esp connected
      to the Roman army. For example, they analysed the contents of the latrines
      in camps along Hadrian's wall. I don't know the answers to your questions
      about vegetables, however - does anyone else?

      Some bibliography

      D. Davies 'The Roman military diet' Britannia 2 (1971) 122-42
      A. King 'Meat diet in the Roman world: a regional inter-site comparison of
      mammal bones' Journal of Roman Archaeology 12 (1999) 168f.
      You might also try the massive
      K.F. Kiple & K. Conee\ Ornelas The Cambridge World History of Food
      (Cambridge, 2000), which is v. interested in scientific studies of
      nutrition etc

      Susan Weingarten

      At 16:15 07/07/02 +0100, you wrote:
      > Hi, at the moment I am looking into Scandinavian
      >Ironage foodculture, I hope to be able to persuade
      >archaeological department in Lund, Sweden that I
      >should do my PhD studies there.
      >
      >However, reading archaeological treaties on food made
      >me curious; has any archaeological remains of roman
      >foodstuff been analyzed. Have pottery been properly
      >examined for fermentation and other ways to preserve
      >vegtables? If so, what are the current ideas on the
      >preservation and conserving vegtables.
      >
      >Daniel

      Micky Weingarten,
      Professor, Department of Family Medicine,
      Rabin Medical Centre - Beilinson Campus,
      Tel-Aviv University
      Petah Tikva 49100, ISRAEL
      Tel: (972)03 9377340 Fax 972-3-9222045
      AND
      Dr Sue Weingarten,
      School of Jewish Studies,
      Tel-Aviv University.
      (Home: 9, Katz Street,
      Petah Tikva 49553, ISRAEL)
    • Weingarten
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 8, 2002
        Could somebody please help me? I am in need of Charles Perry's article
        "What was Tracta?" in Petits propos culinaires 12, which I understand is
        now out of print. If anyone could photocopy this for me I would be only too
        pleased to reimburse.

        Susan Weingarten
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 10, 2002
          Well...according to Mannix and what I found out
          in college it is true. However, I have never
          been able to find out anything else about it.

          Correus

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • sallygrain@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 11, 2002
            Would be delighted too just send me address

            sally G
          • Weingarten
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 13, 2002
              Very many thanks Sally