Re: [Apicius] Re: terracotta

  • Marco Berni
    Message 1 of 9 , May 8, 2002
      If the glazed terracotta is cook-ware then you may assume the glaze is
      safe. Garden and decorative terracotta is not generally glazed.

      Marco

      On Wednesday, May 8, 2002, at 05:10 , Bill Hogue wrote:

      >> Message: 2
      >> Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 06:30:36 EDT
      >> From: sallygrain@...
      >> Subject: terracotta
      >>
      >> Hi
      >>
      >> yes I do use them. generally they are glazed on the inside but they
      >> dont
      >> have to be.
      >
      > Hi Sally,
      >
      > Are you sure that the glazes are safe? I have heard that glazed
      > terracotta
      > should not be used as the glazes may contain toxic metals (lead?) that
      > would not be permitted in wares meant for food use.
      >
      > I am not certain about this, so please set me straight if I'm wrong.
      >
      > Best regards,
      >
      > Bill H.

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      "Do not expect strangers to do for you what you can do for yourself."

      Quintus Ennius

    • sallygrain@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , May 8, 2002
        Hi

        Re glazed pots I have checked the catalogue and they are from Malasia via a
        company called Woodlodge in Walton on Thames. They may well have lead in the
        glaze! I and my tasters havn't suffered to my knowledge any ill effects. My
        other half and I have eaten more then most of the food cooked in the dishse
        over the years and I can guarrantee that we do not display any of the
        symptoms of lead poisoning. I suspect that we all obsorb more lead everytime
        we walk down a busy street. I know the full list of symptoms as the issue
        of lead poisoning is very relavant in relation to Roman high society (
        metalic taste in mouth- and a constant need to get rid of same with strong
        flavours- interesting?; impotence/infertility!!! - note need amongst elite to
        adopt from equestrian order to maintain male line; lowering of IQ,- ????;
        nausia , cramps etc with high doses. I dont think I will stop using them
        given how rarely I cook with them these days.
        Changing the subect Lovage. The vidinarius text has a list of ingredients
        at the beginning of the set of recipes. Lovage seed appears in the seed list
        but not in the dry or fresh section. I think this is rather teling. I am
        getting ready to reject the leaf and take the seed in all Apicius recipes.
        Has anybody got any comment?

        sally
      • wm_hogue
        Message 3 of 9 , May 8, 2002
          --- In Apicius@y..., Marco Berni <mberni@t...> wrote:
          > If the glazed terracotta is cook-ware then you may assume the glaze
          is
          > safe. Garden and decorative terracotta is not generally glazed.
          >
          > Marco

          That may be true, but the original message said "Do any of you use the
          terra cotta plates, that kind flower pots sit on, to cook with? If so,
          do you treat them?" The first reply said "yes I do use them. generally
          they are glazed on the inside but they dont have to be". So we are
          talking about gardening type terracotta (or I suppose other,
          similar non-cookware ceramic products) that may or may not be
          partially glazed.

          I agree completely that terracotta that is sold as cookware can be
          assumed to be safe. On the other hand, I think I would not be
          comfortable with non-cookware items with any glaze at all, unless I
          had good information about the content of the glaze. In this matter I
          think it is best to err on the side of caution.

          Are there any ceramics people out there who can comment?

          Bill H.
        • Marco Berni
          Message 4 of 9 , May 8, 2002
            Ah, sorry I must have missed that qualification.

            One thing that occurs to me is that a lead content in the glaze may not
            necessarily be a dangerous thing in itself.

            After all crystal is 24% lead and I have not heard of that presenting
            any health risk.

            Just a thought.

            Marco

            On Wednesday, May 8, 2002, at 03:07 , wm_hogue wrote:

            > --- In Apicius@y..., Marco Berni <mberni@t...> wrote:
            >> If the glazed terracotta is cook-ware then you may assume the glaze
            > is
            >> safe. Garden and decorative terracotta is not generally glazed.
            >>
            >> Marco
            >
            > That may be true, but the original message said "Do any of you use the
            > terra cotta plates, that kind flower pots sit on, to cook with? If so,
            > do you treat them?" The first reply said "yes I do use them. generally
            > they are glazed on the inside but they dont have to be". So we are
            > talking about gardening type terracotta (or I suppose other,
            > similar non-cookware ceramic products) that may or may not be
            > partially glazed.
            >
            > I agree completely that terracotta that is sold as cookware can be
            > assumed to be safe. On the other hand, I think I would not be
            > comfortable with non-cookware items with any glaze at all, unless I
            > had good information about the content of the glaze. In this matter I
            > think it is best to err on the side of caution.
            >
            > Are there any ceramics people out there who can comment?
            >
            > Bill H.

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            "The miser does no one any good. but he treats himself worst of all."

            Publius Syrus

          • kim
            Message 5 of 9 , May 8, 2002
              At 06:19 PM 5/8/02 +0200, Marco Berni wrote:
              >One thing that occurs to me is that a lead content in the glaze may not
              >necessarily be a dangerous thing in itself.
              >
              >After all crystal is 24% lead and I have not heard of that presenting
              >any health risk.

              Two things. First, despite Marco's not hearing of it, there are in fact
              health concerns from lead crystal:
              http://www.nsc.org/ehc/indoor/lead.htm
              or a more general search on
              http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=lead+crystal+health+risk
              But equally important is that this is an apples and oranges comparison
              because one doesn't cook in crystal or normally put hot ingredients in it,
              while the cooking process is inherently made up of various chemical
              reactions that are more likely to make the lead leech into the food. As is
              the simply fact of dealing with hot substances on a surface glaze vs lead
              chemically bonded within the fundamental harder to melt or dissolve crystal.

              Kim
            • gkbagne
              Message 6 of 9 , May 9, 2002
                Salvette!
                The hazards of clay cookware that you may have heard of, comes not
                from the clay or clear glaze but the minerals added for coloring.
                Some art potters still use lead for white and if your pottery is from
                Mexico, they get a bright red from uranium ore. I suppose to be safe
                you could avoid cooking in pottery decorated on the inside.
                Be Well!
                Lapella
                Message 7 of 9 , May 9, 2002
                  Ave!

                  Well, I guess I got a good discussion going!!!

                  Anyway, the terra cotta pot holders I have (I
                  have not used them yet) are unglazed. I guess
                  what I meant by asking "do you treat them" was
                  whether or not you need to season the container
                  like you do cast-iron. Or can you use it
                  "as-is".

                  Larry

                  http://shopping.yahoo.com