Apicius

  • sallygrain@aol.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 29, 2001
      Hi all

      Can the kind man who sent me the New York Photo copy contact me again. As we
      have finally got to grips with the text and we can explain why its so
      confused. We have put it the right order and can show you how to do so.
      It has actually been completely unbound in order to have it rebound and phto
      copies during this time.
      I am sorry but I didnt keep your email and their are so many Latin names I am
      unsure which one you are now it has been so long.

      Sally Grainger
    • sallygrain@aol.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 16, 2003
        Hi all

        in answer to the question about the text we are using. We are using our own!
        The book is an edition of Apicius. We are collating the 2 oldest MS. One is
        in the Vatican
        the other at thew New York School of Medicine. All other MS and printed books
        derive from these 2 so we are not collating any other versions.

        This means that our text will be a unique version and will in theory replace
        all other latin texts. The MS's that survive have been copied by scribes who
        often did not know what was being said because over the centuries the text
        had become corrupted and often reads as gobeldygook. ( Its the Latin version
        of " send reenforcements we are going to advance" turning into " send 3d
        4pence we are going to a dance " ) Sometimes scribes 'correct' the text
        themselves and its often very difficult to identify these extra lines.
        Therefore some of what you read both in Latin and English is amended through
        a process of educated guesswork. ( there is about 20% of the text which is
        confussed) Those recipes that do make sence govern how the difficult ones
        are interpreted. Previous editors - Milham, Vollmer were not cooks and
        wouldnt claim to be so their amendations can be said to be educated guesswork
        based on the latin but not on the theory of cookery whether it be Roman or
        not. These 2 editors also do not neccessarily tell you when you are reading
        their words rather then the MSs. The Vehling edition as a Latin text is
        terrible but his amendations are brilliant- he was a chef- where the problem
        is about interpreting what is hapening in the recipe or what the ingredients
        are doing.

        I have a couple of problems with the text that i am seeking other opinions
        on.
        IV 4.1 Tisanam sic facies (repeated V.5.1) in F+ R. As it stands in the
        latin it makes no sence. The lines "acronem coleofium ut bene tegature"
        and the line "super coloefium acronem" are the sticking points. I want to
        cut them??????
        A couple of facts that will help. coloefium are bacon/ham bits, it is not a
        large joint. they are cooked for their flavour and are sieved out. Now make
        sence of it.!!?????

        sally
      • channonm@aol.com
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 16, 2003
          In a message dated 1/16/03 8:57:15 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          sallygrain@... writes:

          > I have a couple of problems with the text that i am seeking other opinions
          > on.
          > IV 4.1 Tisanam sic facies (repeated V.5.1) in F+ R. As it stands in the
          > latin it makes no sence. The lines "acronem coleofium ut bene tegature"
          > and the line "super coloefium acronem" are the sticking points. I want to
          > cut them??????
          > A couple of facts that will help. coloefium are bacon/ham bits, it is not
          > large joint. they are cooked for their flavour and are sieved out. Now
          > make
          > sence of it.!!?????

          Can you give us the entire text and your current translation? We could
          collectively put our mind to it and give some opinions. This is fun stuff. :)

          Channon

        • mikulas4 <mikulas4@netscape.net>
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 16, 2003
            --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, channonm@a... wrote:
            > In a message dated 1/16/03 8:57:15 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            > sallygrain@a... writes:
            >

            > > I have a couple of problems with the text that i am seeking
            other opinions
            > > on.
            > > IV 4.1 Tisanam sic facies (repeated V.5.1) in F+ R. As it stands
            in the
            > > latin it makes no sence. The lines "acronem coleofium ut bene
            tegature"
            > > and the line "super coloefium acronem" are the sticking points.
            I want to
            > > cut them??????
            > > A couple of facts that will help. coloefium are bacon/ham bits,
            it is not
            > > large joint. they are cooked for their flavour and are sieved
            out. Now
            > > make
            > > sence of it.!!?????
            > >

            > Can you give us the entire text and your current translation? We could
            > collectively put our mind to it and give some opinions. This is fun
            stuff. :)

            > Channon

            On the other hand, the meaning could be "large joints" meaning knuckle
            bones. They yield the most gelatin, and should be cracked to two or
            three pieces. The same "large joints" shank bones contain marrow that
            provide rich flavour for stocks and soups. I don't know the whole
            sentence, or better the recipe, to support this idea.
            I am ready to help with any coulinary problems. I am working recently
            on book "Inspired by Apicius." Collection of recipes for modern kitchen.
            Caligula.
          • mikulas4 <mikulas4@netscape.net>
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 16, 2003

              > On the other hand, the meaning could be "large joints" meaning knuckle
              > bones. They yield the most gelatin, and should be cracked to two or
              > three pieces. The same "large joints" shank bones contain marrow that
              > provide rich flavour for stocks and soups. I don't know the whole
              > sentence, or better the recipe, to support this idea.
              > I am ready to help with any coulinary problems. I am working recently
              > on book "Inspired by Apicius." Collection of recipes for modern
              kitchen.
              > Caligula.

              Sorry. I am here again. I found the two recipes you mentioned. I have
              the latin text and Vehling translation. Both recipes are for barley
              broth and gruel. Many European recipes for barley soup ask for
              knuckel. The only problem, that I can't explain is Vehling sentence:
              "...and strain into a pot covering the tips of the colocasia." It
              looks he had the same problem ( recipe 172 [2])

              Caligula
            • sallygrain@aol.com
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 19, 2003
                Hi all

                Can this be sent on to any medieval recipe sites that may be able to help me
                please.

                I have a question for you all re a deeply puzzling verb in Apicius. The refs
                are

                Bk2.2.9 'ossucla de pullis exbromas'. ' ......?chicken bones' then add to
                the/a? pot leek, dill salt when its cooked' etc... In a sauce for isicia.
                forcemeat

                Bk 6. 2.3 'rapas coque, ut exbromari possint'. 'Cook turnip in order that
                they are able to.........?' (in a duck and turnip recipe)

                Vinidarius 3 exbromabis diligenter, et in sartagine mittes. carefully
                .......and put in a fry pan. Refering to ofellae which is boned diced rib meat
                or belly pork.

                Anthimus section 3
                de carnibus vero vaccinis vaporatis factis et in sodinga coctis utendum,
                etiam et in iuscello, ut prious exbromatas una unda mittas, et sic in nitida
                aqua quantum ratio poscit coquantur...
                Beef which has been baked can be used (ie finished off) both cooked in a
                frypan and in a sauce, provided that, before hand or as soon as it .....? it is
                put in fresh water.

                This is a shity(?) sentence to translate anyway. I am using Grant as the
                basis but with my spin. Note vaporatis is not steam it is baked in an oven.

                So- The dictionaries suggest and Grant follows the idea that, as the Greek
                bromos is bad smell, exbromo is to get rid of or expell the bad odors. This how
                the word functions in the few late latin refs. In Anthimus the meat is
                therefore bad but why should it be? Non of the other types of meat are? The
                Apicius ref simply cannot have anything to do with bad food per se. Its a high
                status cook book, you start with the best. Turnips dont stink do they? How can
                the Vinidarius quote be about bad smells. what is going on here?

                I have an idea but I need confirmation from medieval recipe texts that talk
                about humores. I think the word means boil 'to remove the humores' Is
                there anyone with knowledge of medieval latin recipe texts who can identify this
                verb A Greek term ekbrazma does mean that which is thrown out by boiling and
                particularly humores.

                I hope there is someone out there who can help.

                Sally Grainger
              • RM
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 26, 2003
                  Hi!

                  In my Apicius edition I translated "exbromare" with something like "to
                  extract <the gravy> by boiling" (pulli) and "to take away the odour" (rapa).

                  Best regards

                  RM

                • sallygrain@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 26, 2004
                    Hi

                    can the member who was kind anough to send me his copy of the New York MS
                    for our edition of Apicius e mail me please. I did have all yoyr details but
                    have lost them ????

                    We are to hand over the text to the publisher very soon

                    sally

                  • sallygrain@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 12, 2004
                      Hi all

                      re other editions

                      [1] In French, B. Guégan Les dix livres d’Apicius (Paris, 1933); in
                      Italian, G. Baseggio (Venice, 1852), P. Buzzi (Milan, 1930), of Book 10 only, A. A.
                      Del Re, De Re Coquinaria Libro X: Il Libro del Pesce (Milan, 1998); in
                      German, R. Gollmer (Breslau-Leipzig, 1909; 2nd revised edition, Rostock, 1928);
                      E. Danneil (Leipzig, 1911); in Flemish, N. Van Der Auwera, Apicius De Re
                      Coquinaria: De Romeinse Kookkunst (Brussels, 2001).
                      This is part of a note in our soon to be at the printer edition of Apicius.
                      I recently heard that Flower or was it Rosenbaum actually did a German
                      translation though I have never seen it mentioned. It might be the one you mean
                      or it might be the Gollmer one though i doubt it given its date.
                      Re our Apicius it is so close it frustrating. We fully expect to hand it
                      over to the publisher before Christmas. Late spring publish date. We only have
                      the very sticky issue of the date to settle. The date of the text i mean.
                      Apicius has been cited for years as a prime example of Late Latin ie a
                      early form of proto Italian. We dont think it is at all and have to be very
                      carefull how we justify this , as huge numbers of Latin schollars will just
                      condemn us out of hand.
                      all best
                      Sally

                    • Cathy Kaufman
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 12, 2004
                        Sally,

                        Can you tell me a bit about how you put together the basic text for the
                        translation? Did you use any of the manuscript from the New York Academy of
                        Medicine?

                        Cathy Kaufman

[...]

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • lilinah@earthlink.net
                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 12, 2004
                          Sally wrote:
                          >Re our Apicius it is so close it [is] frustrating. We fully expect to hand it
                          >over to the publisher before Christmas. Late spring publish date.

                          Whoo-hoo! I look forward to it! Will there be an American edition too?

                          >We only
                          >have the very sticky issue of the date to settle. The date of the
                          >text i mean.
                          >Apicius has been cited for years as a prime example of Late Latin ie a
                          >early form of proto Italian. We dont think it is at all and have to be very
                          >carefull how we justify this, as huge numbers of Latin scholars will just
                          >condemn us out of hand.

                          Even *good* scholarship can be controversial.

                          All the best,
                          Anahita
                        • RM
                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 13, 2004
                            Hi Sally,

                            the date of Apicius is hard to determine, indeed. I wouldn't call the
                            Apician Latin "proto Italian" of course - it's just some kind of jargon
                            culinaire. In most parts it is still good Latin. But I agree mainly with
                            Brandt ("Untersuchungen zum römischen Kochbuche", Philologus Suppl. XIX, 3
                            from 1927) who states that about 60% of the recipes have been taken from the
                            original cook book by Apicius (he thought there were at least two cook books
                            written by Apicius) and that the final version has been completed at the end
                            of the 4th century. The last sure terminus post quem seems to be the
                            "Concicla Commodiana" from Commodus who became emperor in 180. Well, I think
                            it is not that necessary and not even possible to attribute to it an exact
                            date.

                            Best regards

                            Robert

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 14, 2006
                              Hi

                              This is our list of presented books. Do we or you give the manuscript
                              holding libraries their copy?

                              Biblioteque Nationale Paris hold Vinidarius
                              New york academy of Medicine
                              Vatican Library
                              They all request a copy for allowing access to the MS

                              other wise :
                              Institute of Classical studies library senate house Malet st London WC1E 7HU
                              where much of our research took place - Sue willets is coming and is senior
                              librarian

                              Warburg Institute -Gordon Sq- (no its Woburn sq as I now know. Most of the
                              building is on Gordon) london WC1H OAB

                              Andrew Dalby - I want to inscribe though and as he cannot come - Mourine is
                              coming - Send me one and I will post it

                              Cathy Kaufman - same as above rearly - I need to inscribe so though it would
                              be nice to make use of your postage offer I dont see how it will work. She
                              did say she would come to launch but I havnt heard. She is coming to Oxford
                              so I dont hold up much hope.

                              We are also sending to Prof Jim Adams, Prof Barry Hall and a guy called
                              Larry in the US who lent us his copy of the NY MS years ago.

                              So.. We have 10 copies yes? If the MS libraries come out of our
                              allocation we have used it up already. You post the libraries and send me 5 copies
                              left over. Or 7 or 10 depending on your policy. If we have used are
                              allocation already please send 5 extra in any case @ £20 for us I imagain?

                              All best Are you coming to the Italian afterwards?

                              Sally

                            • sallygrain@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jun 14, 2006
                                Hi all

                                Our new edition of Apicius is technically out in the sence that I have a
                                copy of it here. I do not think it will be distributed untill well into July and
                                august on line or even in books shops outside uk but you can get it from the
                                publisher I believe Prospectbooks.com
                                On line the discount is phenominal for the publisher so i am encouraging you
                                to bypass amazon etc as they reduce the profits for the little man to much
                                in his and now our view.

                                I hope you like it - I do not think we could of said more or done more to
                                illuminate the text.

                                Sally Grainger

                              • Tim Sharrock
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jun 15, 2006
                                  On Wednesday, June 14, 2006, 11:26:50 AM, Sally wrote:
                                  [edited]
                                  > Our new edition of Apicius is technically out in the sense
                                  > that I have a copy of it here.

                                  congratulations!

                                  > I do not think it will be distributed until well into July
                                  > and August ... but you can get it from the publisher I
                                  > believe Prospectbooks.com

                                  the web-site seems to be
                                  http://www.kal69.dial.pipex.com/shop/system/index.html

                                  > On line the discount is phenomenal for the publisher so am
                                  > encouraging you to bypass amazon etc as they reduce the
                                  > profits for the little man too much in his and now our
                                  > view. I hope you like it - I do not think we could of said
                                  > more or done more to illuminate the text. Sally Grainger

                                  Decisions, decisions ... the discount Amazon is offering to
                                  the customer is also very significant :( or maybe I should
                                  ask my wife to borrow the ICS copy... though if that is the
                                  same as the Roman Society Library it may go out to a
                                  reviewer.

                                  I look forward to reading it anyway!

                                  Tim
                                  --
                                  Tim Sharrock mailto:tim@...
                                • jdm314
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Aug 18, 2006
                                    Regarding Sally's new books:

                                    --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, sallygrain@... wrote:
                                    > I do not think it will be distributed untill well into July and
                                    > august on line or even in books shops outside uk but you can get it from the
                                    > publisher I believe Prospectbooks.com

                                    The actual URL for Prospect Books is, bizarrely, http://
                                    www.kal69.dial.pipex.com/

                                    Their US distributer is http://www.oxbowbooks.com . This site is currently
                                    offering a special deal "for today only" (I don't know if that's literally true or not,
                                    but if you're interested I'd order it today just to be safe): you can get both of the
                                    new books for a total of $75.00+s&h. This is a great deal! That's less than the
                                    cover price of the more expensive one.

                                    JDM
                                  • Glenda Robinson
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Aug 19, 2006
                                      I think the 'for today' is part of the title, not the offer.

                                      Certainly a great deal. And they have Bishop & Coulston's "Roman Military Equipment from the Punic Wars to the Fall of Rome" 2nd ed for $32 for the military minded!

                                      Glenda.
                                      > I do not think it will be distributed untill well into July and
                                      > august on line or even in books shops outside uk but you can get it from the
                                      > publisher I believe Prospectbooks.com

                                      The actual URL for Prospect Books is, bizarrely, http://
                                      www.kal69.dial.pipex.com/

                                      Their US distributer is http://www.oxbowbooks.com . This site is currently
                                      offering a special deal "for today only" (I don't know if that's literally true or not,
                                      but if you're interested I'd order it today just to be safe): you can get both of the
                                      new books for a total of $75.00+s&h. This is a great deal! That's less than the
                                      cover price of the more expensive one.

                                      JDM

                                    • Susan
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Aug 19, 2006
                                        Thanks for the heads up on this, I went ahead and ordered both; that's a great price :)

                                        Susan

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Aug 19, 2006
                                          In a message dated 8/19/06 2:41:16 AM, glendaslists@... writes:

                                          > I think the 'for today' is part of the title, not the offer.

                                          D'oh, that was silly of me!

                                          JDM