Re: [Apicius] Digest Number 448

  • Joanne Shaver
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 26, 2001
      Salve, Aelina/Neo. Merlinia sends Greetings!
      Please read the message I sent to your other email address.
      May I suggest Ostrich instead of chicken? Many Healthfood and regular
      supermarkets are now carrying it ground,frozen in 1 and 3lb.packages.
      The first recipe in Ap. is very good with this- I've made it for 4 and
      for 25, it freezes beautifully. The meatballs are easier to make than
      beef, too.
      If you can't find it, call Fossil Farms at 1(201)261-9000
      My method-(Ost. Swedish meatballs)
      1 lb. Ost. 1 Tbs.. Each-garlic sherry(sorry!) wine vin. honey.
      Chop up 1 date finely. 1/4 c. chopped leek. A little lovage, celery
      seed, parsley, mint. 1 can Chicken stock. Flour& olive oil mixed into a
      roux. Roll 1 Tbsp.meat into a ball. 1 lb makes about 20. Mix all the
      rest (but the Roux) in a pot, bring to boil. Put in a few meatballs,
      they'll sink, cook 'till they float to the top, fish them out, and do
      this till all are cooked. Then, Add a little Roux till the pot liquid
      thickens, season with a little salt, then put the balls back in, pour
      into a sterile plastic container, cover with top lightly & put into
      'frig
      till cold, then tighten top & stick into freezer. They can be reheated,
      or have them cold. I use them on picnics as the 'cold pack'.
      Vale for now!
      -M.