What a long, stange trip it's been...

  • James L. Matterer
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 25, 2001
      Hello to the Gode Cookery & Apicius groups.

      My apologies for the delay in updating the PDF site, but as the subject
      of this letter says, it has been a rather long and strange adventure
      with my computer this past month!

      The Alabama Renaissance feast went very well; the food was very well
      received and the three of us were ushered into the feast hall with
      applause from the diners to be given gifts from the "queen." All the
      courses turned out quite nice (except the final dessert, which had to be
      scrapped for several logistic reasons) and we did both a cockentrice and
      a coqz heaumez. All in all, the dinner went very well and there was
      plenty of food for everyone. Details on the feast and the menu can still
      be found on the website:

      http://www.godecookery.com/latest/latest.htm

      The drive to Alabama, though, and the amount of work we had to do once
      we got there was a nightmare (!) and we were quite exhausted by the time
      it was over <whew>. But, all that mattered to us was whether or not the
      feasters had a good time and the food was liked. That seems to be the
      case! On the way home, we took the luxury of staying at a motel in Cave
      City, Kentucky, called Wigwam Village #2. All the cabins were shaped
      like teepees and were arranged in a half circle by the road. See it
      here:

      http://wigwamvillage.com/index.htm

      It was a lot of fun to sleep in a wigwam! And it made the whole trip end
      in a very fun manner.

      BUT - after finally returning home after the feast, I discovered that my
      new HP Pavilion would not turn on - no power whatsoever. After several
      weeks of shuffling it back and forth between repair shops, I was told
      that it was completely dead - the mother board and the CPU were shot.
      However, RDCSoft saved my hard drive! <yay> I now have it hooked up to
      an old Toshiba and am finally able to start accessing email, the
      internet, all my gode cookery files, etc., again.

      So, after a more than a month delay, the PDF site has been updated with
      all the PDF files from Oct. 15 up through Nov. 15. They are:

      Eating & Drinking in the Bayeux Tapestry (3 parts)
      Mixing It Up in the Medieval Kitchen (Terence Scully, 3 parts)
      Tempering Medieval Food (Terence Scully)

      The website's URL is:
      http://www.godecookery.com/maillist/pdffiles.htm

      As usual, please remember: don't try to view these files from your
      browser. Instead, do a right click with your mouse over the link, then
      download them to your hard drive. Open them up from your hard drive with
      Adobe. Because they've been made at a large dpi for quality printing,
      some browsers can't open them properly.

      Barring any more dramas with my computer, the file for Dec. 1st should
      be on time.

      En Servicio,
      Jim/Huen