Re: [Apicius] Making Garum

  • channonm@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 21, 2001
      In a message dated 11/20/01 1:13:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      mberni@... writes:

      > I live outside Rome and I also made garum.

      That's a great description Marco! Culinary history in action! I have
      contemplated this but didn't have the "guts" (pun intended) to do it.

      Can you describe how the results of your experiment tasted and compared to
      say nuoc mam and anchovy paste? I use a combination of the latter two to
      imitate what I would suppose it would be like.

      Channon

    • Marco Berni
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 21, 2001
        I am rather conscious that there seems to be a 'have' missing in that
        sentence!

        The finished product produced about 95% liquid anchovy 'paste' and about
        5% of something that looks very like nuoc mam but smells better!

        As you and others on this list know, I refuse to accept the garum = nuoc
        mam theory bandied about my most culinary historians. I am prepared to
        accept however that the liquid strainings of the process might have been
        considered a supreme delicacy and expensive condiment of it's own,
        whilst the rest of the people made do with the 95% that resembles
        anchovy relish(diluted, strained paste).

        Both parts of the sauce can be used.

        Interestingly the theory that blood and the interior parts of the fish
        are essential to the process is, in my experience, true. The kilo I
        made with cleaned fish produced almost no liquor and dessicated the fish
        rather than liquifying it.

        Marco

        On Wednesday, November 21, 2001, at 02:31 , channonm@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 11/20/01 1:13:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        > mberni@... writes:
        >

        >> I live outside Rome and I also made garum.
        >>

        > That's a great description Marco! Culinary history in action! I have
        > contemplated this but didn't have the "guts" (pun intended) to do it.
        >
        > Can you describe how the results of your experiment tasted and compared
        > say nuoc mam and anchovy paste? I use a combination of the latter two to
        > imitate what I would suppose it would be like.
        >
        > Channon

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        "Everywhere chance reigns, just cast out your line and where you least
        expect it, there waits a fish in the swirling waters."

        Ovid