Re: [Apicius] Digest Number 401

  • margali
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 22, 2001
      OK,
      Well, Phlip [our Harbinger and camp mistress] has her birthday on
      the 12th, which makes it fall pretty much in the middle of
      Pennsic every year and it is a great excuse to party. My main
      parameter is that the main course has to be duck [her favorite.]

      The first year I did Roman - I made roasted duck with one of the
      sauces mentions ad good with waterfowl, the beet/beetgreen side
      dish, teh lettuce with oenagarum based salad dressing, fried
      spelt mush with pine nuts, pepper and honey, and a mulberry
      custard.

      It was well recieved by the 38 people who came for dinner.

      The next year [last year] I did german, again with spit roasted
      duck and sides of 'heaven and earth' [apples, onion and cabbage
      with black pepper,] spaetzle, a medieval german sauce for
      waterfowl, and an apfelkuchen for dessert.

      Again, well recieved by the 42 attendees ;-)

      This year, I did persian using as my resources 2 medieval
      cookbooks, al Bagdadi and Ain i Akbar. I made :
      #
      #M E N U
      Mezze
      Beid hamine - hard cooked eggs colored with onion skins [period]
      Dates filled with almonds - dates, almonds [period]
      Piaaz Torsi - Pickled onions - cider vinegar, mint, honey,
      onions [period]
      Pickled lemons - lemon, olive oil, sumac [period]
      Olives filled with goat cheese [not period]
      Romaine Lettuce with Sekanjabin dip - romaine, vinegar, mint,
      sugar [not period]

      Roast Duck ‘al Qata’if - Duck roasted in a glaze of rosewater
      and saffron over a bed of flat bread layered with almonds,
      rosewater and honey syrup [not entirely period]
      Duck roasted with a glaze of saffron and rosewater , served on a
      bed made of lavash and ground almonds.
      Recipe:
      6 ducks 1 gram saffron ½ cup middle eastern
      sesame oil 1 cup rosewater 1 lb honey
      3 lbs coarsely ground almonds 4 packages of lavash
      Prick the ducks skin all over without piercing the flesh and rub
      with a mixture of the sesame oil heated with the saffron in it.
      Spit roast, catching the drippings. Take a baking dish and
      sprinkle with rosewater, then layer the lavash with ground
      almonds and sprinkles of rosewater. Make a honey syrup using the
      duck drippings, rosewater and honey. Slice the duck and lay over
      the bed of lavash and cover with the syrup. Bake until hot.

      Khichri - Mung Beans and Rice [period]
      Rice, mung dal and ghee, 5 ser of each: 1/3 ser salt: this gives
      seven dishes
      From Ain I Akbari
      Recipe:
      ¾ cup rice ¾ cup dried mung beans ½ cup ghee
      [clarified butter] 1 1/3 tsp salt
      Put the beans and rice in to soak separately, using about 1 cup
      of water each. After about 45 minutes, drain the beans. Melt 2/3
      of the ghee in a sauce pan, add the dried beans and cook for
      about 5 minutes. Add 2 ¼ cup of water and simmer for half an
      hour. Drain the rice, add it, salt and another 1 cup of water.
      Simmer for about 30 minutes. Melt the remaining ghee and stir it
      in.. Serve hot.

      Isfanakh Utahan - fried spinach [period]
      Take spinach, cut off the lower roots, and wash; then boil
      lightly in salt and water, and dry. Refine sesame oil, drop in
      spinach, and stir until fragrant. Chop up a little garlic, and
      add. Sprinkle with fine ground cumin, dry coriander, and
      cinnamon; then remove
      From al-Bagdadi.
      Recipe:
      1 lb spinach 1 tbsp sesame oil 1 clove
      garlic ¼ tsp cumin 1/8 tsp coriander
      ½ tsp cinnamon
      Boil spinach in salted water about 2 minutes. Chop garlic. Fry
      spinach in oil briefly; add garlic and fry a bit more; add spices
      and serve.

      Bread [period]
      Bread
      There is a large kind, baked in an oven, made of 10 s. flour; 5
      s. milk; 1 1/2 s. ghi; 1/4 s. salt. They make also smaller ones.
      The thin kind is baked on an iron plate. One ser will give
      fifteen, or even more. There are various ways of making it; one
      kind is called chapati, which is sometimes made of khushka; it
      tastes very well when served hot.
      From Ain i Akbari
      Recipe:
      1 lb = 3 1/2 c flour 1/2 lb = 1 c milk 2.4 oz
      ghee = 3/8-1/2 c .4 oz salt = 1/2 T
      Melt the ghee, stir it into the flour with a fork until there are
      only very small lumps. Stir in the milk until thoroughly mixed,
      knead briefly. Put the ball of dough in a bowl covered by a damp
      cloth and leave for at least an hour.
      Knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic, adding a little
      extra flour if necessary.
      Either: Take a ball of dough about 2" in diameter, roll it out to
      about a 5" diameter circle. Cook it in a hot frying pan without
      grease. After about 2 minutes it should start to puff up a little
      in places. Turn it. Cook another 2 minutes. Turn it. Cook another
      2 minutes. It should be done. The recipe should make about 11 of
      these.

      ;Heat a baking sheet in a 450deg. oven. Put the circle of dough
      on it in the oven. Bake about 6 minutes; it should be puffing up.
      Turn it over. Bake about 4 minutes more. Take it out. The recipe
      should make about 5 of these.

      White Sals [period]
      Walnut meats, garlic, pepper, cinnamon, white mustard, tahina,
      lemon juice
      Recipe:
      1 cup walnuts 2 cloves garlic 1/8 tsp black
      pepper ½ tsp cinnamon
      ¾ tbsp prepared mustard 2 tbsp tahina lemon
      juice as needed
      In a mortar and pestle or food processer combine walnuts and
      garlic until thy form a smooth paste. Put into a bowl and add
      pepper, cinnamon, mustard and tahina. Mix thoroughly with a
      spoon, adding lemon juice until it forms a thick paste like
      hummus.

      Maast-o-Khiar [not period]
      A cucumber and onion salad dressed with yoghurt.
      Recipe:
      yogurt, 500 grams cucumber, 1/2 small
      (grated) onion, one small (grated) mint, 2
      teaspoons
      salt black pepper
      Beat yogurt well until it flows smoothly. If fresh mint is used,
      it should be finely chopped. Add mint, grated onion and cucumber,
      salt and pepper to yogurt and mix well. Leave in the refrigerator
      for two hours, then serve.

      Hais [period]
      Take fine dry bread, or biscuit, and grind up well. Take a ratl
      of this, and three quarters of a ratl of fresh or preserved dates
      with the stones removed, together with three uqiya of almonds and
      pistachios. Knead all together very well with the hands. Refine
      two uqiya of sesame oil, and pour over, working with the hand
      until it is mixed in. Make into cabobs, and dust with fine
      ground sugar. If desired, instead of sesame oil use butter. This
      is excellent for travelers.
      Recipe:
      2 2/3 cups bread crumbs 2 c pitted dates 1/3
      cup ground almonds 1/3 cup ground pistachios
      7 tbsp melted butter or sesame oil enough sugar
      We usually grind the nuts separately in a food processer, then
      mix dates, bread crumbs, and nuts in the food processer, then sir
      in melted butter or oil. Dates vary in hardness; if it does not
      hold together, add a few tablespoons of water, one at a time. For
      ‘cabobs’, roll into 1 inch balls. The finely ground sugar is to
      keep them from sticking together.

      We had 38 guests for dinner, and it was very well recieved. I
      also made 1 tray of the original chicken version for anybody who
      didn't like duck, and also a small batch of the same but with
      eggplant instead of the poultry for the vegan in our midst.
      margali
      --
      ~~~~~
      The Quote Starts Here:
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 23, 2001

        <<The next year [last year] I did german, again with spit roasted

        duck and sides of 'heaven and earth' [apples, onion and cabbage

        with black pepper,] spaetzle, a medieval german sauce for

        waterfowl, and an apfelkuchen for dessert. >>

        Mmm, spaetzle and apfelkuchen. Sounds like my grandmother's dinners ;)

        << Again, well recieved by the 42 attendees ;-)

        This year, I did persian using as my resources 2 medieval

        cookbooks, al Bagdadi and Ain i Akbar. I made :>>

        Do you have years for those? It's a shame we don't have any older Persian
        sources... I mean we have elaborate discriptions of banquets in the Shahname
        which perhaps someone like Sally, or Marc Grant, would be able to tease a
        recipe out of, but even so they'd have to make a lot of guesses.

        Anyway, thanks a lot for those recipes!