RE: Roman wines

  • GAEL
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2001
      Greetign from Spain.
      First of all, un abrazo a Almudena.
      Curious about the wine question:
      I was in Barcelona playing concerts last month and robbed time enough to
      take a guided tour of the Roman remains below the Cathedral and the
      surrounding area.
      Surprise surprise!
      We were taken through the remains of a fuller´s, a dyeing shop, a garum
      makers AND a vintnor (IS that the term I mean? where wine is stored and
      seasoned and shipped). All cheek by jowl.
      Knowing what we do about these processes and their ingredients, can anyone
      imagine what this area smelled like?

      Still, it was fascinatingto see how garum was made, what the Roman wine
      making was like. To anyone going through Barcelona, I´d recommend this tour.
      It´s in Catalán, but being a language based on Latin, easy to understand.
      Salve
      GS