Re: [Apicius] Roman Cookies

  • Kyle Phillips
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2001
      >As one who teaches an ancient history community college survey course
      >and as a not bad amateur chef I have enjoyed lurking on this list for
      >quite some time but have never had occasion to post. In St. Paul
      >(Minnesota) this past weekend I encountered in an upscale grocery store
      >a bag of doughnut shaped cookies labeled as "Original Taralli Sugar
      >Coated." The label says: "The 'Tarallo' is a product which has
      >descended from the times of the Roman Empire...and is a traditional
      >snack of the 'Pugliese' region of Italy most popular in Altamura Bari."
      >It goes on to note that the cookies were made in New Jersey by the Di
      >Clemente Family who utilized their "antique tradition" and "genuine
      >experience and technology."
      >
      >So, am I actually eating some Roman food here??
      >
      >Don
      >--

      Taralli are old, I think, but I don't know if they go back to the Romans.
      Antonio Piccinardi doesn't suggest this in his Dizionario della Gastronomia
      Italiana, at least. For that matter, he says they're originally from
      Campania and migrated to the rest of southern Italy. I've got a couple of
      recipes for them in the breads part of the onsite recipes section of my site.

      Kyle
      http://italianfood.about.com