Re: [Apicius] pear

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 14, 2000
      Sally,

      Milk was listed as an option. Would you suggest
      not using it?

      Larry

      --- sallygrain@... wrote:
      > Hi all
      >
      > Great to hear from you Cathy and it was good to
      > meet you. Thanks for the
      > comments. As you know the Oxford meal was less
      > than successful from my point
      > of view because i had to deal wioth a real
      > a***h*** in the kitchen. Long
      > story I will tell you all some time.
      > I have cooked a pear patina in the "
      > thermospodium " (hot ashes) and while
      > it can never be smooth because of the pear
      > texture it does set like a custard
      > as long as the heat is gentle and slow. I dont
      > know why milk was added by
      > the Italian interpreter.
      >
      > The cumin and pear together are quite startling
      > but excelent.
      >
      > sally

      http://mail.yahoo.com/
    • Marco Berni
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 14, 2000
        Milk is probably listed as it is an ingredient of modern crema pasticcera
        and custards and might make the dish more familiar to modern tastebuds.

        I have not made this dish so cannot comment on whether it chnages a great
        deal without it.

        Marco