Re: [Apicius] AIE!!!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22, 2000
      Oops, my dinner got postponed until monday night, so I might need more wishes of luck!
      The conference certainly is interesting. It's for people to get together and speak Latin... there are so few people in the world who are interested in doing this, and since you need more than one to make it work, it makes sense to hold a conference.
      I wish they knew more about food terminology though! Of course when using a dead language to represent the modern world, some transfered usages are inevitable, but, for example, surely the Romans had something closer to jelly(in the american sense)/jam/preserves than LIQUAMEN! I did find this word melomeli in the Lewis and Short, which seems to match the description of Quince Jam perfectly (and in fact that's what we had been talking about).
      Oh well, one of the people here IS working on a dictionary of modern terms in Latin, and he's very interested in getting information on food terminology from me, so perhaps in the future things will be better... if I'm up to the task, that is!

      -IVSTINVS