5568Re: Fwd: Was Alexander The Great Poisoned By Toxic Wine?

  • wimb3612
    Jul 14, 2014

      Hi,

         I know this is way late, but I've only just joined the group. I think these are some of the references you were seeking are

      Xenophon in his account of the  march of the ten thousand from Persia back to Greece gave  a lurid description of hundreds of his soldiers eating tainted honeycomb. The result was diarrhoea, vomiting, apparent  drunkenness and then collapse as if dead. They all recovered but it took them 3 or four days.The source is Xenophon. Anabasis. 4.8

      Mithridates V of Pontus ( not a nice man) was said to have left  hives of toxic honey in the path of Pompey’s legions in the third Mithridatic war in 65 bce with similar results, except that this time the Romans, once they were all rolling around in agony, were massacred by Mithridates' troops. The source is Strabo. Geographia. 12.3.18

      Pliny noted that the honey produced  in Heraclea was poisonous in some years, and not in others, depending on the weather ans what plnts had good seasons.. The source is Book 21.44 of the Historia Naturalis.

      I guess the point is that poisonous honey was pretty well known and recognised in the ancient world.

      thanks,

      Howard Posner

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic