5542Re: [Apicius] Pipere - Piper

  • Justin Mansfield
    Feb 14, 2014
      That may be true; it does sound vaguely familiar. And it is definitely true in Greek. But if it is masculine, you will only be able to tell the difference in the accusative (neuter piper, masculine piperem), or in the nom/acc plural (neuter piperia, masculine piperes, but it is, of course, rare to see the word in the plural.) The other forms should all be the same.

      On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 9:30 AM, Magnus Eriksson <Mensarum@...> wrote:

      It seems that piper can be both masculine and neuter. Some dictionaries say it is masculine, others that it is neuter and some dictionaries say it can be both.

      On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 3:18 PM, Justin Mansfield <iustinus@...> wrote:

      Piper is a pretty standard 3rd declension neuter, it's not irregular.

      Of course the grammar of Apicius is not exactly perfect, by classical standards, nor is it totally consistent. So, for instance, many recipes end with a phrase that means "serve, sprinkled with pepper" or the like, but as I recall (and Correus, since you're going through the recipes, feel free to corroborate or contraict me here) there are three common variations:

      * pipere asparso inferes "pepper having been sprinkled, serve" — a good Classical ablative absolute.
      * pipere asparsum inferes "serve it sprinkled  with pepper" — a good Classical participial phrase.
      * piper asparsum inferes, in Classical Latin, this could only mean "serve sprinkled pepper," as if it were the main dish and the rest of the recipe were the condiment. And yet if I remember correctly it's the most common variant!

      On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 3:41 AM, Volker Bach <carlton_bach@...> wrote:

      I think it's grammatical. My Latin is awfully rusty, but condies (season with) would imply an instrumental ablative while teres (grind) needs an accusative. I think piper is an irregular declension, but the other words follow that pattern.

      Correus <correus@...> schrieb am 21:56 Donnerstag, 13.Februar 2014:

      Thanks Justin.

      It's been over 20 years since I studied Latin but the light bulb is slowly coming on.  I understand what you are meaning, just not sure if I can explain it.

      As for the project - I was planning on using the nominative singular.

      Correus