      From: Justin Mansfield <iustinus@...>
      To: Apicius@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2014 12:59 PM
      Subject: Re: [Apicius] Pipere - Piper

      Piper is the nominative form of the word, which is the form you should be listing on your index, because that's what you use when you look up. Pipere is the ablative and, to oversimplify for the sake of explanation, means something like "with pepper.." Latin nouns are are inflected for "case." So, to use an analogy, piper and pipere are the same word, just as cook and cooked are.

      The problem is that this is true of EVERY Latin noun, with extremely few exceptions. So if you don't know about declension you're going to have some trouble cataloging the spices.

      Perhaps what you should do is make a list of forms you *think* are the same words, and let me or someone else who knows Latin go over it just to be sure. For the most part you should be able to guess correctly, but it's a good idea to check.

      Question for our Latin Speakers (you know who you are).....

      Pipere - Piper......   What is the difference between these two words?

      I know it means 'pepper' but this is why I'm asking; when running both words through various online translators 'pepper' comes up - as expected.

      However - when 'pipere' is entered into an online dictionary "no results found" is what keeps popping up.

      Here are two recipes as examples....

      [2.1.1] isicia fiunt marina de cammaris et astacis, de lolligine, de sepia, de locusta. isicium condies pipere, ligustico, cumino, laseris radice.

      [2.1.4] omentata ita fiunt: assas iecur porcinum et [eum] enervas. ante tamen teres piper, rutam, liquamen. et sic superimmittis iecur et teres et misces, sicut pulpa omentata, et singula involvuntur folia lauri, et ad fumum suspenduntur quamdiu voles. cum manducare volueris, tolles de fumo et denuo assas.