5494Re: [Apicius] RE: Fwd: Was Alexander The Great Poisoned By Toxic Wine?

  • Justin Mansfield
    Jan 14, 2014
      Well, that's what I meant by "I'm too lazy." Dalby includes a list of ancient sources he consulted for his entry on Honey, but he doesnt' specify which he means by "Roman sources" that mention poisonous honey. And I don't have time right now to look each one up and check. I mean, maybe another day.

      On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 6:46 PM, Correus <correus@...> wrote:

      What is the "Roman sources" you mention - book, web site, etc.?

      From: Justin Mansfield <iustinus@...>
      To: Apicius@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 3:18 PM
      Subject: Re: [Apicius] RE: Fwd: Was Alexander The Great Poisoned By Toxic Wine?

      Yeah, Dalby says this is mentioned by "Roman sources." I'm too lazy to look up the specifics, but apparently Corsican, Sardinian, and Pontic honey were considered risky for this reason.

      On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 2:33 PM, <hail_isis@...> wrote:
      Some old Greek wrote about the dangers of honey from hives that were near areas abounding with toxic plants poisonous to humans.  The honey could make one mad, sick, or dead.  or so it was said ...

      Happy Makar Sankranti!

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic