5483Re: [Apicius] Even the poor eat... giraffes?

  • Ana Valdés
    Jan 5, 2014
      In another list we discussed the same rapport and someone come with a very interesting input: what if the giraffe died in it's way to Rome or to other part and died in Pompei and the trader sold the corpse to make some profit eating it or making sausages with the meat?
      Ana

      On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 11:28 PM, Correus <correus@...> wrote:

      I think Justin's on to something....

      First thing I thought of was the location being next to the theater district.  No offense intended towards anyone but, just as it is today, who tends to go to the theater more than other activities such as the "games" - the intellectuals and the more financially well off.

      That being said - it would make sense that the local eateries around the theater district would cater to a more upscale taste.

      I also remember reading in a couple of books, one being 'Those About to Die' be Daniel P. Mannix, that the carcases of animals could be sold as food.  The Porta-Stabis would not be difficult to access from the amphitheater - you just follow the road that skirts the city wall.

      Just a thought.

      Correus