5481Re: [Apicius] Even the poor eat... giraffes?

  • Justin Mansfield
    Jan 4, 2014
      Good point.

      In fact, today I actually got to see Prof. Ellis's presentation on these findings. An audience member pointed out that the restaurant would be well-located for, e.g. theater-goers to stop by after a show, and of course Romans often sent out slaves to make purchases for them, so we need not assume the patrons were actually from the neighborhood.

      On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 12:42 AM, Susan Weingarten <weingarten.susan@...> wrote:

      This report is fascinating. However, i am not so sure about the conclusions of the archaeologists as reported here. Does the giraffe bone really attest to a trade in exotic animals for meat? This seems somewhat unlikely. My colleague Joan Alcock (author of Food in Roman Britain)  has suggested that the  exotic animals imported for fights in the amphitheatre were sold off as meat for Roman sausages after they were killed. So a trade in exotic animals, yes. But for their meat? Only at one remove.
      Susan Weingarten

      --
      Dr Susan Weingarten

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic