5466RE: RE: [Apicius] Question about ham

  • livia_petralia
    Oct 20, 2013
      Thank you very much for all of the ham help. I, too, was sure I must be missing some words (since we to have at least 50 for various varieties of pork), but I think this was enough to go with.It gave me some good places to look, and I spent some time with my new favorite book - have any of you seen _A Handbook of Food Processing in Classical Rome: For Her Bounty No Winter (Technology and Change in History)_ by David L.Thurmond? Amazing.If I may ask one more question - what sort of rice that we have now would be closest to what was available then? Aside from just white or brown - I can confidently find brown varieties of basmati and american long grain, and I have good enough Asian markets to find one or two varieties there, possibly even a short grain option. If there's evidence for red rice, that's just exciting.- L
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic