5464Re: [Apicius] Question about ham

  • Justin Mansfield
    Oct 12, 2013
      Well, roughly speaking suina = pork, perna = ham, lardum or laridum = bacon. I'm sure there are more words I should be mentioning... but probably the best is if you just ask about specific quotes and I can help on that. Perna is indeed the word Cato uses for his saltpork recipe.

      On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 10:16 PM, <libitina2@...> wrote:

      So Cato references pig hind legs preserved in salt. And Apicius has recipes that are translated as involving ham.

      Can anyone give me a good list of different words for pork and what the differences were to Romans? Particularly so that I can double check my translations to see whether they mean a cut of raw meat from the ham of a pig or a brined preserved meat product.

      I have some good dictionaries, but not necessarily one that specializes in the technicalities of food.

      Thank you.

       - L

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic