5283Re: Kykeon

  • Phoenix
    Nov 17, 2012
      Whey is not the same as barley water that has been left to ferment
      overnight or for a few days - the effect and flavor are not the same.
      Whey is mild (though the scent may not be that mild for goat whey) and
      perhaps an easier to digest liquid than whole milk for those who are
      sick. There are a couple of recipes for using it on the Wikipedia page
      ("Wine whey" and "Cream of Tartar whey"):

      Here is a link to yummy recipe for palak paneer, which uses whey along
      with the homemade cheese, paneer.

      There is a chapter about Kykeon in Karl Kerenyi's Eleusis:Archetypal
      Image of Mother and Daughter. He wrote:

      "Ovid's addition to the Homeric recipe is contained in the word tosta.
      Tosta polenta means roasted barley groats. Obviously this addition
      springs from a Greek source, for among Greeks barley was roasted before
      being crushed into groats: Graeci perfusum aqua hordeum siccant nocte
      una ac postero frigunt, deinde molis frangunt. (The Greeks dry for one
      night the barley that has been soaked in water; afterward they roast it,
      and then they crush ity between two stones.") [footnote 5] In
      accordance with a law of Solon, the phrugetron, the vessel for roasting
      barley, was carried by the bride in the nuptial procession as a symbol
      of the housewife's duties (Pollux I 246). Roasted barley in water
      produces malt and a drink which may taste sweet without the addition of
      any sweetening whatever and become alcoholic after short fermentation.
      [footnote 6] The Goddess had no need to wait for fermentation before
      her kykeon became alcoholic. We have testimony to the effect that the
      kykeon was - illicitly - drunk in Athens on the day before the
      procession to Eleusis (see p. 62), and we also know the form of the
      characteristic vessels in which the beverage was carried in the
      procession. [footnote 7] It can be inferred from Arnobius' word ebibi
      ("I drank out," "I drank the whole potion") that a definite dose had to
      be taken. The dose in that case would have been the exact quantity
      contained in the small pots carried in the hands of the men in the
      procession. " (pp.178-179)

      Kerenyi then references personal correspondence from Albert Hoffman
      regarding the phenomenon of visions and or hallucinations that can come
      from fasting alone, as well as in combination with even mild doses of
      alcohol or other entheogens.

      Pennyroyal (mentha pulegium) has a pleasant minty scent and taste, but
      in large quantities it can produce mild euphoria - it is also used as an
      emmenagogue to make the menses flow when there is pain, cramping, or a
      pregnancy to be terminated, if one knows their herbal medicine well
      enough. The article mentions this in the recipe for 'the red flux'.

      When our Chicago Earthstar group was up & running in the '80s, we made
      Demeter's kykeon, covering it with cloth and letting it ferment
      overnight, and another batch sat for three days. It was a mild and
      pleasant buzz, undoubtedly with more powerful effect if one has done a
      complete fast for a day or more beforehand. This was done without
      mixing it with wine, of course, since it is the Goddess' drink.

      Regarding curdling, there is no mention of whey or milk for the sacred
      kykeon recipe, but since the word means 'stirred, mixed drink', why
      would curds for the medicinal or relaxing dairy mixture be unpleasant?
      It is not as thoroughly blended as a modern milkshake, but it is along
      those lines, texture wise, if one is a good stirrer. A previous post
      mentions buttermilk, a great example of a thick drink. How about eggnog
      as a mildly thickened beverage? Kefir is a thick curdled drink, a sort
      of yogurt-like beverage, and it is a popular enough item to be in
      mainstream grocery stores. There are Japanese soda pop's that come with
      tapioca pearls in them. The kykeon we made was thinner than kefir, not
      quite as thin as the Japanese pop or gruel-like but a slightly thickened
      drink with a mild 'kick'.

      Another thing to be aware of regarding visions and ritual intoxication
      with kykeon is that the poppy is the flower of Demeter (and associated
      with Hypnos, Thanatos, Asklepios, Nyx, Aphrodite, Adonis). The poppy
      grew wild in ancient wheat fields, and it was also cultivated in
      rotation with grains to give the fields 'rest' before planting grain on
      them again. The poppy juice could be an unwritten 'holy secret' that
      was added to the mixture. It was a specific cult item, one of the
      flowers that Persephone had been gathering in the field before her
      abduction, and well known for millennia as a plant that could ease pain
      and help one to sleep and dream. There is no hard and fast evidence I
      know of this, so it is speculation on my part that the totemic flower of
      the Goddess would possibly be used in Her holy communion beverage.

      Well, back to coffee for me today!
      Have fun,

      --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, Kimetha Loidolt <kloidolt@...> wrote:
      > Actually a version of this made with whey, honey, and herbs is
      mentioned in many of the writings of physicians of the period.
      > Hipprocates is quoted as writing "...when Adrianus, the son of Ceneus,
      had a pain all around the belly,...prescribed goats whey, boiled..",
      Galen of Pergamon a 2nd century Physician drew on Hipprocates writings
      he wrote "...Simple whey is particularly proper for tender
      patients...whey is also safely exhibited to children, women, and old
      persons, even during the heat of a fever..."
      > Is it possible that whey was the liquid used to make the drink?
      > Kimetha Loidolt
      > kloidolt@...<mailto:kloidolt@...
      Behalf Of Warriior Chef
      > Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:12 PM
      > To: Apicius@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [Apicius] Kykeon
      > Buttermilk works well enough as an idea...
      curdled - as Andrew translates the verb associated with the name.
      Diluting it makes sence too