      From: Lucia Clark <luciaclark@...>
      To: Apicius@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Mon, Dec 13, 2010 4:48 pm
      Subject: RE: [Apicius] Pasta history: China

      Interesting, Justin

      As for who baked what first, does it matter? Let me put my anthropological
      hat on: We have some sort of grain, we have water. There is only so much we
      can do with it. We can let it ferment it, lending our evenings some pleasant
      and ritually useful aspect. We can bake it or pan grill it, and here we have
      some ready high energy food. Or, and here is the moment of genius, we can
      drop it in boiling water. The resulting mess is easy to eat, and it goes
      with absolutely everything else that is bubbling in the pot. This process
      has happened independently wherever grain was grown and marked the passage
      from hunting-gathering to crop growing. It changed the nature of life
      drastically. People settled in permanent villages near sources of water, and
      grain processing became an industry, opening the way to specialized jobs and
      bartering (I fix your spear if you give me a big jug of fermented barley).

      And now, for my boiled grain strips covered with some post-Colombian fruits
      simmered in the liquid produced from pressing small Mediterranean fruits..

      _____