      From: Correus <correus@...>
      To: Apicius@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Mon, August 2, 2010 5:57:59 PM
      Subject: [Apicius] OT- "Dirt Eaters"

      Hello Everyone -

      I am recently read 'Dawn of Empire' and am currently reading 'Empire Rising',
      both by Sam Barone.

      In these books he calls the Mesopotamian farmers and villagers "Dirt Eaters".  I
      tend to recall this being slang for ancient farmers but can't seem to find the
      reference for it.

      Am I correct or am I going daft?  Anyone know id this is indeed slang for
      farmers?