4702First Roman Cookbooks to Purchase?

  • coivinix
    Dec 3, 2009
      COIVINIX DONATO SAL P D
      Welcome! While the group seems a bit moribund at present, there's much in the archives to keep you going until the chatter starts up again.

      I'm sure everyone will have their own favorites, but here are the ones_I_would direct you to:

      First and foremost, the admirable "practical" end of our fellow-listmate Sally Grainger's new translation of APICIVS (done with her husband, Christopher Groocock) COOKING APICIVS:

      <http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Apicius-Roman-Recipes-Today/dp/1903018447/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259856283&sr=1-1>

      This is excellent scholarship yoked to practical cookery and intelligent supposition. You will not do better--the only problem is that it is SO SHORT. But perhaps Sally will find time to enlarge :>)

      You can buy both books together at a special price from the importer here:

      <http://www.oxbowbooks.com/bookinfo.cfm/ID/61510>

      An earlier effort (with another listmate, Andrew Dalby) is THE CLASSICAL COOKBOOK:

      <http://www.amazon.com/Classical-Cookbook-Andrew-Dalby/dp/071412222X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259856244&sr=1-1>

      Although it's aging, there is still much to like in Ilaria Gozzini Giacosa's A TASTE OF ANCIENT ROME:

      <http://www.amazon.com/Taste-Ancient-Ilaria-Gozzini-Giacosa/dp/0226290328/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259856141&sr=8-1>

      And then there's Mark Grant's ROMAN COOKERY; a strong point of this one is that it concentrates on more "every-day" food; a somewhat weaker point is that, while the author is a very serious scholar....the redactions he provides are a bit idiosyncratic at times and (which is perhaps exactly what you are looking for?) slanted to modern ease, rather than historical accuracy. But--read with care--there is much here that is not covered elsewhere:

      <http://www.amazon.com/Roman-Cookery-Ancient-Recipes-Kitchens/dp/1897959605/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b>

      Hopefully you'll find something here which will suit you exactly. In the best of all worlds, you'll eventually have them all on your bookshelf.

      BONA FORTVNA

      COIVINIX

      --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, "jbd_29349" <goliathrix@...> wrote:

      > Ave Citizens!
      >
      > I hope that I am not out of line by starting a topic to just introduce myself. My name is Joshua Davis I live in Spartanburg, South Carolina. I am a member and the Optio of Legio VI FFC based out of Charleston, South Carolina.
      >
      > I found this site going through some websites I haven't been to in a while and I am glad I did. I have been biten by the cooking bug here recently and being a Roman re-enactor I would like to try authentic Roman dishes.
      >
      > My first question is this: where can I find a good Roman cookbook. Now my definition of a good Roman cookbook is this, will give you substitutes for things that you can't find in even a "fancy" grocery store. Also written by someone that has reproduced these dishes and has applied modern cooking techniques and or terms. This one is a bonus but not really necessary, dates for when these dishes were common/created.
      >
      > Joshua Davis
      > aka
      > Marivs Minivs Donatvs
      > Optio Centvriae