4591Re: Frank's Steak

  • Crystal
    Feb 9, 2009
      --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, jdm314@... wrote:

      http://video.nytimes.com/video/2009/01/27/dining/1231546403635/franks-
      steak.html
      > http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/28/dining/28mini.html

      > A recipe which, according to restaurateur Frank de Carlo, dates to
      the fifth century. He says nothing about sources (my suspicion is
      Venetian folk tradition), but inasmuch as it's meat marinated in wine
      and spices it's plausible enough, even if the nutmeg is
      anachronistic.

      > Can anyone provide more information? Lucia, do you know anything
      about this recipe? The fact that he gives no official name, not even
      whatever they call it in Venice, makes it a little difficult to check.

      People love to feel like they're getting part of history, right? Or
      that something sounds exotic. Reminds me of going to a Mario Batali
      restaurant in Vegas recently and on the menu they had some dish cooked
      with "Apician spices." When I asked what the spices happened to be,
      it turned out to be cinnamon, cardamom and nutmeg. Cinnamon was a
      medicine in ancient Rome, if I'm not mistaken, and nutmeg didn't
      appear until the Middle Ages. So maybe it was a substitution of some
      sort but really I think it's all about the marketing spin sometimes...
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic