      From: Heather Rose Jones
      To: Apicius@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, February 08, 2009 6:52 PM
      Subject: Re: [Apicius] Frank's Steak

      On Feb 8, 2009, at 8:43 AM, jdm314@... wrote:

      > http://video.nytimes.com/video/2009/01/27/dining/1231546403635/franks-steak.html
      > http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/28/dining/28mini.html
      > A recipe which, according to restaurateur Frank de Carlo, dates to
      > the fifth century. He says nothing about sources (my suspicion is
      > Venetian folk tradition), but inasmuch as it's meat marinated in
      > wine and spices it's plausible enough, even if the nutmeg is
      > anachronistic.

      The fact that he starts the description of the history with "legend
      has it" suggests to me that all bets are off. If you follow the
      description carefully, the implication is that only the marinating in
      wine is ascribed to the 5th century; and that the spices used in the
      modern recipe are ascribed to "1000 years ago". Even at that, the
      spicing is more reminiscent of 14-15th century cuisine than what
      little we know of earlier.

      If I had to bet money, it would be that the recipe is a modern
      invention, inspired to some extent by late medieval cuisine, and
      dressed up in a historic fiction to make it sound more interesting and
      in the expectation that nobody who matters will care about the
      details. That is, my money is on it being Frank de Carlo's steak, not
      the steak of the Frankish invaders of Italy.

      It does sound delicious.