      From: Samia al-Kaslaania <samia@...>
      To: Apicius@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 6:58 am
      Subject: Re: [Apicius] Apicius 6.8.1

      Asofoetida is Latin for "putrid garlic" . :) That is the name of the

      spice though, I've bought it at a grocery co-op in Minneapolis. There is

      nothing else like it. It's almost garlic, but not quite fennel and quite

      pungent. The cat who inspects everything ran away from it.

      You should be able to order some from an online resource. It's still

      used in Indian cuisine today.

      Samia

      Castus Valerius wrote:

      > Hi All,

      > I recently bought a copy of "Cooking Apicius" and am making one of=2
      0the