4447Re: [Apicius] logical substitutions??

  • Lilinah
    Jul 1, 2008
      I wrote:
      >3. Malabathron/Malabathrum:
      >This is a leaf from a Indian tree more often called today "tejpat".
      >I went to the local South Asian markets and found a bag of leaves
      >labeled "tejpat", but i could see that they were bay leaves. I asked
      >the proprietor and he said that is what they use as a substitute, at
      >least here in California. So i have used bay leaves, but would love
      >to taste actual tejpat.

      Sorry, i forgot to include this link to a helpful page about tejpat:
      http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Cinn_tam.html

      I am a HUGE FAN of this website, which has amazing info - and color
      photos - of all sorts of herbs and spices.

      Anahita
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic