3097Re: [Apicius] Re: Lovage, lovage, who's got the lovage?

  • Cheri or Anne
    May 2, 2006
      I can vouch for Horizon Herbs too. I've never had a problem with anything I've ordered from them.

      Tho my lovage is going strong here in Washington (state) I really don't do anything special with it. Mine does just fine without much attention payed to it. Last year I did transplant some to a VERY shady part of the flower bed in the front of the house and it even grows there! Right now it's about a foot high already and we had our temps in the mid 20's last night.

      Good luck with the plantings.

      Venetian Cat Studio <bast1959@...> wrote:

      Greetings all,
      I've been following the discussion on lovage, and as an herbalist, I just HAD to jump in. : )
      I've been growing lovage for 7 years now. I live in cccoldddd northern NH, and my soil is really lousy (sandy and acidic), and it grows easily. It is very resistant to disease. I find that cutting it a lot during the growing time ensures that you'll always have nice tender new leaves. I compost it in the fall, (I use a side dressing of organic compost) and is one of the first plants to shoot up in the spring.
      There is a FANTASTIC seed company in Oregon which sells top quality organic seeds, and the seeds are guaranteed.
      The company is called Horizon Herbs http://www.horizonherbs.com/. They specialize in medicinal and rare herbs, and I have found everything there. I grew my lovage from their seeds, and I highly recommend them.
      As far as taste, it DOES taste like a strong celery. Parsley is nothing like it I'm afraid. It's great for flavoring soups and as a complimentary green in a tossed salad with olive oil and lemon juice.

      Fine Ancient Reproduction Pottery and Oil Portraits

      "As you change your thoughts, so you change your world."
      Julia Passamonti
      Legio III Cyrenaica
      Maker of Amphorae

      Ancient history A brief history of time Ancient roman

      Visit your group "Apicius" on the web.

      Go softly and gently for those you meet here will be
      those you know hereafter."