3097Re: [Apicius] Re: Lovage, lovage, who's got the lovage?

  • Cheri or Anne
    May 2 8:08 AM
      I can vouch for Horizon Herbs too. I've never had a problem with anything I've ordered from them.

      Tho my lovage is going strong here in Washington (state) I really don't do anything special with it. Mine does just fine without much attention payed to it. Last year I did transplant some to a VERY shady part of the flower bed in the front of the house and it even grows there! Right now it's about a foot high already and we had our temps in the mid 20's last night.

      Good luck with the plantings.
      Anne

      Venetian Cat Studio <bast1959@...> wrote:

      Greetings all,
      I've been following the discussion on lovage, and as an herbalist, I just HAD to jump in. : )
      I've been growing lovage for 7 years now. I live in cccoldddd northern NH, and my soil is really lousy (sandy and acidic), and it grows easily. It is very resistant to disease. I find that cutting it a lot during the growing time ensures that you'll always have nice tender new leaves. I compost it in the fall, (I use a side dressing of organic compost) and is one of the first plants to shoot up in the spring.
      There is a FANTASTIC seed company in Oregon which sells top quality organic seeds, and the seeds are guaranteed.
      The company is called Horizon Herbs http://www.horizonherbs.com/. They specialize in medicinal and rare herbs, and I have found everything there. I grew my lovage from their seeds, and I highly recommend them.
      As far as taste, it DOES taste like a strong celery. Parsley is nothing like it I'm afraid. It's great for flavoring soups and as a complimentary green in a tossed salad with olive oil and lemon juice.

      THE VENETIAN CAT STUDIO
      Fine Ancient Reproduction Pottery and Oil Portraits
      http://venetiancat.com

      "As you change your thoughts, so you change your world."
      Julia Passamonti
      Legio III Cyrenaica
      Maker of Amphorae

      Ancient history A brief history of time Ancient roman

      Go softly and gently for those you meet here will be
      those you know hereafter."