For Sale- Mort Kuntsler Maryland, My Maryland Giclee- $150-Hagerstown, MD

  • God'sfavorite
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 14, 2012
      I have a Mort Kunstler Maryland, My Maryland Giclee on Canvas print for sale.  This is number 23/100.  In pristine condition without fading, and the canvas is supple without any cracking, as it has been stored in a climate controlled facility, as all artwork should be stored.  Rare. both because only 100 were made and because anyone that has one won't let go of it.  The Civil War aficionado in your life needs to add this to his collection.  Local history that you can hang on you wall!

      Currently selling on Amazon for $775, I am asking $150 cash on pick up in Hagerstown, MD.

      The following is the description from the Mort Kunstler website:

      It was one of the war’s most dramatic moments and the soldiers of Robert E Lee’s army knew it. They were crossing the Potomac River to take the war to the North. Less than a year earlier, Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia had tried to do so and had failed their attempted invasion had been turned back at the battle of Antietam. Now, in the summer of 1863, Lee’s army was again wading the Potomac, crossing into Maryland, heading to Pennsylvania and Northern soil. This time they were fresh from a major victory at the battle of Chancellorsville and Lee hoped to win another victory in the North ��" one that would end the war’s awful bloodshed and gain Southern nationhood.
      On the morning of Thursday, June 25th, the troops of General James J. Pettigrew’s Brigade part of the Third Corps of Lee’s army forded the Potomac near Shepherdstown, Virginia. Here, at Boteler’s Ford, the river was approximately 150 yards wide, marked in spots by scattered boulders, and was armpit-deep in places. Some men kept on their uniforms; while others stripped.
      On the Maryland shore they shouted the “Rebel Yell,” and someone in the 26th N.C. began singing the lyrics of ”Maryland, My Maryland” a poignant musical protest of the Northern occupation of Maryland. Other soldiers joined the chorus, and the poetic lament echoed over the broad river basin. An officer on General Pettigrew’s staff ordered the 26th North Carolina’s regimental band to play an accompaniment to the singing. The band composed of accomplished musicians from the Moravian community in Salem, North Carolina was renowned as one of the best bands in Confederate service. The musicians took up the tune and continued to play it until thousands of soldiers were across.
      Just miles ahead across the Pennsylvania border lay the quiet crossroads hamlet of Gettysburg. There the great battle that Lee sought would be waged, but it would not end in Southern victory. Instead, it would prove to be the high water mark of the Confederacy and the beginning of the end of the Southern quest for independence. The North’s Army of the Potomac, defeated just weeks earlier, would prevail in defending Northern soil at Gettysburg, and untold thousands of Southern soldiers would not return across the Potomac.

      Date Created: Painted 2006

                                              "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

                                                                         Eleanor Roosevelt

      "There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest."

                                                                              Elie Weisel

      Veteran Home Loans
      Apply for VA Loans with competitive interest rates at Military.com.
      Military.com