recipe of the week May 15, 2014

    Message 1 of 1 , May 16, 2014
      Well here's a couple of poultry dishes for a main course from the Forme
      of Curye. Not sure where one might get curlews but pheasant is getting
      easier to find. I occasionally see them at Central Market (Poulsbo and
      a couple of other locations around the Sound) and have purchased them
      down at George's in Port Orchard.

      I was fortunate to have grown up in a family of hunters so we had
      pheasant a couple of times a year. Also grouse, quail, squirrel and
      rabbit, and, after they built the reservoir, there were deer to hunt on
      the farm, as well. Our "farm" was actually more of a wooded hunting
      preserve in southern Ohio, since that hill county isn't the best for
      farming although Grandpa ran some cattle on it from time to time. We had
      hickory and black walnut trees. There were wild grapes, black
      raspberries, huckleberries, elderberries and, oddly so far north, a
      persimmon tree growing in those hills. Still are, the land is still in
      the family.

      xxxiiij. Chykens in hocche.

      Tak chykens & scald hem, take persel, & sauge with outen eny othere
      erbes, tak garlek & grapes & stap the chykene ful & seeth hem in gode
      broth, so that they may esely be boyled therinne, messe hem & cast
      therto poudour douce.

      .xxxv. For to boyle fesauntes partryches, capouns and corlowes.

      Take gode broth & do ther to the foule, & do therto holw peper & flour
      of canel a gode quantite & lat hem seeth therwith & messe hit forth &
      cast ther onne poudour douce.

      Good Cooking