Recipe of the Week May 8, 2014

    Message 1 of 1 , May 8, 2014
      Well, here we are in May and this month we are looking at recipes from
      The Forme of Curye. This is an English manuscript dated to the 1390's
      and is commonly considered the earliest English Cookbook (There are a
      scattering of earlier recipes but none in a collection of this size,
      although more are coming to light.)The transcription here is from the
      work of Daniel Myers and can be accessed on-line at
      http://www.medievalcookery.com/notes/rylandsms7.txt
      Several other editions are also available.

      We start off with a recipe for a stewed dumpling of pork, Tartlettes.

      xlix. Tartlettes.

      Tak pork y sode & grynde hit smal with safroun, medle hit with ayroun &
      raysouns of coraunce & poudour fort & salt, make a foyle of dowh & close
      the fars therinne, cast the tartlettes in a panne with fayre watur
      boillyng & salt, tak of the clene flesche without ayroun & boyle it in
      gode broth cast therinne poudour douce and salt & messe the tartlettes
      in dysches & held the sew theron.

      If you have not worked with recipes in their original form such as
      this, the easiest way to start getting a handle on the language is to
      merely read the recipe aloud. Hearing the words makes it easy to update
      the spelling making it far more user friendly. For the remaining
      unfamiliar words turn to one of several dictionaries such as this
      glossary of cookery terms. http://www.godecookery.com/glossary/glossary.htm

      Second a classic recipe for Blancmange.

      .xxxvj. Blank maunger.

      Tak capouns and seeth hem thenne tak hem up, take almaundes blaunched,
      grynde hem & alye hem up with the same broth, cast the mylke in a pot,
      waysche rys & do therto & lat is seeth, thane tak brawne of capouns,
      tere it smal and do therto, take white grece, suger & salt & cast
      therinne, lat hit seeth, thanne messe hit forth and florysche it with
      anyes in confyt rede other whyte & with almaundes y fryed in oyle.

      Good Cooking, Rycheza