Recipe of the week March 20, 2014

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2014
      So for some sides to go with our chickens from last week how about some
      mushrooms and rice. These are still from from from Le Menagier de
      Paris, a French manuscript originally dated to 1397. The English
      translation presented here is by Janet Hinson. We have been baking this
      mushroom pie at the Junefaire demo for several years under our cloche
      and find it nummy.

      MUSHROOMS of one night are the best, and are small and red inside,
      closed above: and they should be peeled, then wash in hot water and
      parboil; if you wish to put them in pastry, add oil, cheese and powdered
      spices.

      Item, put them between two dishes over the coals, and add a little salt,
      cheese and powdered spices. You can find them at the end of May and in June.

      RICE for a meat day. Pick it over and wash in two or three changes of
      hot water, and put to dry on the fire, then add boiling cow's milk, and
      grind up saffron to colour it yellow: soak with your milk, then add in
      grease from beef stock.

      RICE, Another Way. Pick it over and wash in two or three changes of hot
      water until the water is clear, then do as above until half cooked, then
      puree it and put on trenchers in dishes to drain and dry in front of the
      fire: then cook it thick with the fatty liquid from beef and with
      saffron, if this is a meat day: and if it is a fish day, do not add meat
      juice, but in its place add almonds well-ground and not sieved; then
      sweeten and do not use saffron.

      Good Cooking Rycheza