Recipe of the week Feb 20, 2014

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 20, 2014
    This week we have a side dish to go with your brisetten and a report on
    making the chicken dumplings we offered in this column a few weeks ago.

    First for the side dish we have some dumplings of chard and other herbs,
    still from the Cookbook of Sabina Welserin.

    119 If you would make boiled dumplings
    Then take chard, as much as you like, some sage, marjoram and rosemary,
    chop it together, also put grated cheese into it and beat eggs therein
    until you think that it is right. Take also cinnamon, cloves, pepper and
    raisins and put them into the dumpling batter. Let the dumplings cook,
    as one cooks a hard-boiled egg, then they are ready.

    And last night we had an intimate meeting of the DL Culinary Guild and
    cooked up a few selections from Sabina's cookbook, including the chicken
    dumplings mentioned earlier. Photos attached.

    Chicken Dumpling redaction:
    For the filling:
    1 chicken breast cooked (8 oz cooked meat) finely chopped
    ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
    4 egg yolks
    ½ tsp salt
    1/8 tsp ground mace
    ¼ tsp ground pepper
    Mix well together

    dough for wrappers
    2 cups flour
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon salt

    Mix salt and flour, mound onto a surface making a well, stir in eggs,
    add enough water to make a dough, knead smooth and let rest 10 minutes.

    Roll dough out thin and cut into 3 ½ inch rounds, fill with heaping
    teaspoon of filling, seal and pull ends around to meet. Cook in broth
    (a little more than a simmer) till dumplings float. Makes about 30
    dumplings.

    Notes: could be made up to and frozen before cooking in broth. four
    seems to be a good serving,

    I had the leftovers for lunch today as a soup with chopped green onions
    and peas, very nice.

    Good Cooking