Recipe of the week, Feb 13th, 2014

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15 7:15 PM
      Well, one of these days I'll have these posted on time. Our recipe this
      week again comes from The Cookbook of Sabina Welserin, a German
      manuscript cookbook dated to 1553, English Translation by Valoise
      Armstrong.(Available on line.)

      So for our main dish we have brisetten, an herb filled meat roll roasted
      in front of the fire.

      196 Brisetten are made in the following manner
      Cut veal from the haunch, cut it into fine, thin strips about a finger's
      thickness and beat them thoroughly on both sides with the back of a
      knife. Take kidney suet and chop it small, mix with it all savory herbs,
      such as parsley, marjoram, sage and what ever savory herbs you can
      obtain, and salt, pepper and cinnamon among them. And if it should not
      be moist enough, you could add meat broth. And spread it on both sides
      of the veal strips. Afterwards roll them up together and stick them on
      spits and set a frying pan under them. Roast them well in their juices,
      and baste them often in the juices which run out, and that which
      normally runs out and remains with the broth in the fat pan, pour it
      over it and serve it thus. It is a good dish.

      Nest week we'll look at some side dishes.

      Good Cooking