Recipe of the Week Oct 3, 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2013
      When I laid out my plan for the year I envisioned this month’s “Bready
      Things” to be a collection of dishes made up of bread or possibly
      fritters and dumplings, or who knows what. October was a long way off
      back in January. But I came across a number of things that could be
      considered ‘bready’ that weren’t made of bread. This week we have three
      recipes out of English sources. The first comes from A Noble boke off
      cookry ffor a prynce houssolde or eny other estately houssolde :
      reprinted verbatim from a rare ms. in the Holkham collection / edited by
      Mrs. Alexander Napier, 1882, from a manuscript believed to date to
      around 1467. On-Line Transcription by Daniel Myers (2008)

      To mak rostand

      To mak rostand tak and mak a stiff bater of egg
      and pured floure sugur a goodelle and alitill yest of
      new ale and set it by the fier or els in a pot with
      boillinge watur that it may take alitile heet when it
      riseth swinge it to gedur and let it fall agayne and let
      the ovene be heet and clene swept and put the floure
      in an ovone to bak that it ryse as frenche bred then
      tak it out and cut away the cruste about the brod of a
      noble and mak a hole and raise it all about under the
      cruste and longe and ouer thwart as thyk as thou may
      with a knyf and so doun to the botom hole the crust
      all about set on the crust aboue and set them in the
      ovene till they be somdele dried and serue it furthe.

      The Good Huswifes Jewell, 1596 (On-line Transcription
      (MedievalCookery.com) by Daniel Myers 2008) contributes two versions of
      bisket bread.

      To make Bisket bread.

      First take halfe a Pecke of fine white
      flower, also eight newe laide egges, the
      Whites and Yolkes beaten together, then
      put the said egges into the Flower, then
      take eight Graines of fine Milke, and
      stampe it in a Morter, then put halfe a pint
      of good Damaske water, or else rosewater
      into the Muske, and mingle it together,
      and put it into wine or Muskadine, but
      Muskadine is better, and put it into the
      flowre, also one ounce of good anniseedes,
      clean picked and put therin, and so to work
      them altogether into a Paste, as yee doe
      bread, and then make your biskettes into
      what fashion you thinke best, and then put
      them into an Ouen, and bake them hard if
      you will keepe them long, or else but indif-
      ferent, if you will haue it candite, take rose-
      water and Suger, and boyle them toge-
      ther till they be thicke, and so slices of bread,
      then set hot in the Ouen vntill the same be
      candit.

      To make fine bisket bread.

      Take a pound of fine flower, and a pound
      of suger, and mingle it together, a quar-
      ter of a pound of Annis seedes, foure eggs,
      two or three spoonfuls of Rosewater put all
      these into an earthen panne. And with a
      slyce of Wood beate it the space of twoo
      houres, then fill your moulds halfe full: your
      mouldes must be of Tinne, and then lette it
      into the ouen, your ouen, beeing so whot as
      it were for cheat bread, and let it stande one
      houre and an halfe: your must annoint your
      moulds with butter before you put it your
      stuffe, and when you will occupie of it, slice
      it thinne and drie it in the ouen, your ouen
      beeing no whotter then you may abide your
      hand in the bottome.

      Good Cooking