Recipe of the week, Sept 5, 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2013
      September Gourds and Pumpkins

      With the switch of season towards autumn let’s take a look at recipes
      for some of the items we, that’s the modern ‘we’, think of as fall
      produce: Gourds.

      Gourds turn up in a number of period recipes, mostly around the
      Mediterranean, in both a dried form and as young gourds. We will start
      with an entry for two ways to candy gourds. This is a multi-step
      process that will require two weeks or more to finish properly. It
      reminds me a bit of old style pickle recipe which call for boiling up
      the product on several consecutive days. The source is commonly known
      as Anonimo Veneziano, The Libro di cucina/ Libro per cuoco hales from
      the late 14th or early 15th c. and the area around Venice. The English
      translation used here is the work of by Helewyse de Birkestad,(MKA
      Louise Smithson) from the transcription of Ludovico Frati (ed.): Libro
      di cucina del secolo XIV. Livorno 1899 prepared and made available
      online by Thomas Gloning

      CXXIX To candy gourds in two ways.
      Take firm gourds just after flowering, and peel them, and cut each into
      two pieces, then boil in water until they are tender. Have ready nine
      vessels filled with cold water, put the gourds into the first, then
      immediately into the second, then the third, then the fourth ending at
      the ninth vessel when the gourds should be nice and cold in the water.
      Then put the gourds to dry in an airy place, without sunlight for three
      days. Then put them to boil for a little in honey, take them from this
      honey and put them into pan with more fresh honey and boil until they
      are cooked. If you want to make them more delicate, put sugar to boil
      with the honey. Have in mind that when the said gourds are done, that
      is cooked, put them in a glazed bowl and set them in the air until all
      the honey is dried, and then you can store them wherever you want. It
      will take perhaps fifteen days to dry the honey and they should be
      protected from the sun. If you want to make this in another way, put
      them in a bowl and every day pour over boiling water, and every day one
      changes the water for eight days. Then one puts them to boil until they
      are tender and make them in the same way as the others, except that one
      does not have to put them in the cold water in the nine vessels.

      Good Cooking