Re: [Antir_culinary] So, I'm watching the Supersizers. . .

  • Johnna Holloway
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2013
      The search function at http://medievalcookery.com/search/search.html
      searches these volumes in case you want to try a search on the ingredients

      A Book of Cookrye
      (England, 1591)
      Delights for Ladies
      (England, 1609)
      A Proper newe Booke of Cokerye
      (England, mid-16th c.) The 1545 volume was also printed in 1575 and 1576.
      The Treasurie of commodious Conceits
      (England, 1573 - J. Holloway, transcr.)

      The 1594 Good Huswifes Handmaide for the Kitchin as noted below can be searched directly through the website.

      My annotated version of The Good Housewife's Treasurie from 1588 will be out this fall.

      The Mace ahh the joys of early cookery. Start with a small amount and increase to taste.

      My article  "Recreating The Elizabethan Era Feast" appears in Tournaments Illuminated 4th Quarter 2012 #184, pp. 21-24. It lists numerous sources to help one get started in exploring the cookery and foods of the era.

      Johnnae

      On Aug 2, 2013, at 10:22 PM, Karen Kidd wrote:

      Hmmmmm. That does sound fairly close. I suppose the recipe could have been adjusted to give a whole chicken rather than just broth. Cool!

      About the mace . . . I wonder what "a quantity" amounts to.

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2013
        Oh, I'm lovin' the search feature :-)

        Thank you.

        Someone suggested they used Robert May for the recipes but I didn't find an exact match there.

        I have to wonder if it's a pastiche made up from suggested original recipes.

        Here's one possible How to make a good white broth snipped

        The good Huswifes Handmaide for the Kitchin

        1594
        http://www.uni-giessen.de/gloning/ghhk/

        recap here
        http://glvalentine.livejournal.com/374489.html