Recipe of the Week July 18th, 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 18, 2013
      These days, fresh fruit is always available, for a price,(sometimes cash
      and sometimes quality and often both). Our fore bearers were not so
      lucky and devised ways to keep the goodness all year. Over the next few
      weeks, I'll be posting some period recipes for preserves or other
      methods for keeping the goodness on hand all year.

      Both of these recipes for preserving oranges come from The Good
      Huswifes Jewell, 1596

      To preserue Orenges.
      You must cut your Orenges in halfe and pare them a little round about,
      and let them lye in water foure or fiue dayes, and you must chaunge the
      water once or twice a day, and when you preserue them, you must haue a
      quarter of faire water to put in your Suger, and a little Rose-
      water, and set it on the fire, and scum it verye cleane, and put in a
      little Sinamon, and put in your Orenges, and let them
      boyle a little while, and then take them out againe, and doe so fiue or
      sixe times, and when they be enough, put in your Orenges
      and let your sirroppe stand till it be colde, and then put your syrrop
      into your Orenges.

      To preserue orenges.
      C[hu]se out the fairest, and the heauiest, that is full of liquor, and
      cut them ful of litle specks, then make a little round hole in
      the stalke of the Orenge, and breake the stringes of the meate of the
      Orenges & close the meate to the sides of your Orenges with your finger,
      then will part of the iuice and kernells come out, and laye them in
      water three daies and three nights, then take them
      out, and set a pan with water ouer the fire, and when it seeths, put in
      your Orenges, let them not seeth too fast, then you must haue another
      panne with water readye see- thing to shift your Orenges out of the
      other water, when they haue sodden a prety while and so haue one panne
      after another to shift them still vppon the fire x. or xii. times to
      take away the bitternesse of the Orenges, and you must keepe them as
      hole as you can in the boyling, and then take them vp one by one, & lay
      them vpon a platter the hole downeward, that the water may runne the
      clearer out of them, then let them stande so vntill you haue boyled your
      sirrop, readie for them. Nowe to make your sirrop take to euery two
      Orenges, a pinte of water, & a pound of suger, let your suger be finely
      beaten before you put it into your liquor & looke
      that the kettle you boyle them in, be sweete brasse, then take x. whites
      of egges, and put them into your kettle with your liquor and
      suger, and beate your whites of egges, and the liquor together a good
      quarter of on houre, then set your liquor vpon a softe fire of coales,
      and let it seeth so soon as you can, hauing a faire skimmer, and a
      Cullender ready, and set your Colender in a faire bason, and as your
      whites of egges riseth in skumme take them vp with your skimmer
      and put them in your Collender, and you shall haue a great quantity of
      sirrope come from your skumme through your Colender into your bason, and
      that you must saue, and put it in to your kettle agoin, and when
      your great skumme is off, there will arise still some skumme, which you
      must take off with a skymmer, as cleane as you can, and when your
      sirrope hath sodden a pretie while, then put in your Orenges, and let
      them boyle softlye, till you think they be enough, & the sirrop must be
      somewhat thick, then let your Orenges stand al night vpon the fire, but
      there must be nothing but imbers. And in the morning take them vp, and
      put them in Glasses or Gally pots.

      Good Cooking Rycheza

      PS: My apologies for falling behind. As you may know we have had a life
      interruption here and while we do not expect to do much eventing this
      season, at least no camping, Matuesz is recovering well, if slower than
      he'd like. And since we missed it How was the War? What goodies did we
      miss? Tales would be greatly appreciated.