Recipe of the week May 16th, 20013

    Message 1 of 1 , May 16, 2013
      Well, apologies for missing the last few weeks. A few of you may have
      heard that we had a major life interruption at the end of April. My
      Lord, Matteausz had a quadruple bypass and that has kept us a bit busy
      as you might imagine. Good news is tragedy was averted and everything
      is going very well, (as well as any recovery from major surgery).

      Anyway back to the topic at hand....

      For May I thought to tackle the topic of Lamb. Although it’s a bit
      past Easter we can start with two somewhat fancy versions of a whole
      roast lamb from the Cookbook of Sabina Welserin a German manuscript
      cookbook dated to 1553, English Translation by Valoise Armstrong.
      Available on line.

      153 To prepare an Easter lamb
      Take the lamb and draw off the skin and leave him the ears and the feet
      and the tail , cover with a wet cloth, so that the hair does not burn.
      Roast the whole lamb in this manner in the oven on a board. And if you
      would like for it to be standing, then stick a spit into each leg. When
      it is almost roasted, then baste it with eggs and take it out. Let it
      cool, take a cloth that is three spans long, fill it full of butter and
      bind it up and press it through with a stick. It gets crinkled like real
      wool, then take it and make wool out of it for the lamb. Stand it then
      on a nice board. Make a fence out of butter around it, in the manner
      which follows.

      53 To make a fence out of butter
      Take butter or May butter and sugar, knead it in, so that it becomes
      sweet, and then take an icing bag and fence it around. The fence posts
      that go with it, make from cinnamon sticks. Also there belongs inside
      the fence, roasted fish or whatever you have that is good.

      And if that wasn't fancy enough here we cover the lamb with
      multi-colored "wool".

      154 A lamb of another sort
      Make it exactly as the preceding description, cover it, however, with a
      multicolored covering. It is made like so: Take eggs, put the whites
      separate from the yolks, beat the eggs, put some salt into it and sugar,
      take a pan, put pure fat into it, let it become hot, pour the fat
      completely out of the pan, put the egg white into it, let it run here
      and there around the pan, hold it over the fire, not too long, however,
      only until it begins to quiver. Afterward hold the pan on the fire,
      until it becomes dry, and hold it not too near, so that it remains
      white, and make in this way as many pancakes as you wish. Do not make
      them too thick, not thicker than a thin cloth. Afterwards make the
      yellow ones exactly like this, put saffron in the egg yolks. Brown is
      made precisely so, take cherry jam strained through with the eggs and
      make pancakes out of it. So you have four colors, cover the lamb with
      them and cut the colors according to the length, as wide as you would
      like. After that take cinnamon sticks, make small nails out of them,
      push them with the thick end into Strauben batter, which should be
      yellow and fry them in fat, then they have buttons. If you would like,
      you can gild or silver them. Then take hard-cooked eggs and cut them
      open at the end, take the fried cinnamon sticks, stick them through the
      tips of the eggs and fasten the colors in the fashion on the lamb. And
      color half the eggs yellow and leave the others white. Make a fence from
      good spices around the lamb, put the lamb on the board. After that take
      smoked meat, that is very red, cook it and cut off the outside. Chop it
      very small, then take eggs, cook them hard, cut them apart, the white
      from the yellow, chop each by itself, and when the lamb is ready, then
      put the white on one side of the board and the yellow on the opposite
      side, in one place or the other lay the whole hard-cooked eggs on it and
      also the pancakes, also if you have it or want it, honey. This lamb is
      better for eating than that described earlier. When the meat is prepared
      in this way, it does not become ugly and everything is edible except the
      board.

      We'll be back next week with more lamb recipes. And don't forget
      Junefaire is coming up. Our Demo kitchen is open for any of you to come
      play. You can work on one of our demo recipes of bring one of your own
      (plus ingredients and any special equipment.) We are open to the modern
      public on Sat and Sun.

      Good Cooking